Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
TKR PAIN
An_250157 posted:
I am 9 weeks out from surgery-having extreme pain. This all went south about 4-5 weeks ago. Ever since the surg. I have had horrible mussle cramping at night between my knee and my hip, which causes my leg to draw up to 90 degrees I try to straighten it out with extreme pain from mussles. Then one night I felt something tear. The next day went to my surgeon he did xrays found my new knee cap had chipped off at top. He felt like this was what was causing my change in pain. He then said it woul all be better in aprox. 2 weeks. He showed my wife and I the xrays- the chip was aprox. 1 inch long by 1/16 inch thick. He tells us that the mussle will close up around this and everyting will be ok. Now 3 weeks later pain is worse. Does anyone have answer for this?

arbob5 responded:
Maybe a second opinion? I haven't heard of anything like this, but something just doesn't seem right. I'm no expert, that's for sure, but I have had a TKR, with no problems, my sister had one, with no problems, and a couple of other people I know from church have had them too. One had problems, but it appears to be her own fault because she didn't keep up with her physical therapy at all.

I certainly hope your surgeon is right. Keep us posted on how you're doing, OK?

raskal replied to arbob5's response:
Went to family dr. he seems to think this is nerve related. He did blood work to rule out infection. He then gave me a prescription for lyrica. Last night I slept thru the night for the 1st time in 2 months. Went to theraphy today and had very little pain. I have found a miracle drug at least for me, and it is not habit forming.

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center