Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What is Bone Trauma after TKR?
An_250195 posted:
I am in my early 50s. I had a TKR in Sept. of 2012. I was supposed to have bilateral TKR, but due to bleeding, only 1 knee was done. Because of the blood loss, I needed a transfusion and ran constant fevers for 20-plus days.

After 4 days in the hospital, I was moved to a rehabilitation hospital for the next 20 days. My fevers persisted and I had severe swelling and heat in the knee. My staples weren't removed until the fourth week.

I thought I did so well once I came home. I completed 3 full months of outpatient PT, 3 times a week. I started out at negative 24º extension and when I finished 3 months later, I was zero degrees extension and 139º flexion.

I have a huge keloid scar (looks-wise, it's no big deal to me) and worked hard in PT to massage and manipulate my knee to break up the adhesions.

But the weird thing is my knee now feels like a sore concrete bowling ball.

I went for my follow up in Jan., 2013. The surgeon looked at my knee and placed his hand on it. He told me I have trauma on the bone. He didn't explain it (and shame on me for not being persistent asking him why). He said my scheduled surgery to replace the other knee was off until the trauma subsides. He's a great doctor but would only say I need to be patient.

Here are my questions: What is bone trauma? What causes it? Is icing the knee the only answer? I know everyone is different, but how long will it last or might it stay forever? Can I exercise the knee? I was going to enter a wellness program for knee strengthening exercises, but the only information I could find online about bone trauma said rest is recommended over exercise.

I do have an auto immune disease, SLE lupus. I have not had a lupus flare up since June - November of 2011. I take no NSAIDS due to bleeding ulcers from NSAIDS and I haven't had steroids since the 2011 flare.

I've worked SO hard on rehabbing my knee and this is such an enormous setback.

My remaining knee is bone on bone. It hurts, too, and needs replacing.

I have ice wraps for my knee. 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off as instructed.

Please help me. I'm so anxious to understand bone trauma.

Helpful Tips

What is hip pain, and what else could it be?Expert
Frequently hip pain is mistaken for another diagnosis and vice versa. In my practice, I have seen people have hip replacements from various ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center