Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
TKR is still a big pain.
An_250329 posted:
I had a ceramic tkr 13 months ago and still experience a lot of tightness and discomfort around my left knee. I went to Duke for a second opinion. They told me nothing was wrong and to wait a year for it to heal. I got a third opinion and that dr, did a partial replacement. He replaced the spacer because the original one was small and had slipped out of place, He also removed massive scare tissue, I am still in pain and very limited doing activities. I try to swim, but I can feel my knee joint moving around in the water. Afterwards it swells up. My dr. insists that it is not lose and will not do any more surgery, he said it will only lead to more scare tissue, I should mention that my first dr, did my surgery very late in the evening 7pm because he had problems with a knee surgery before mine. He also told me I was his first ceramic knee replacement,Prior to the surgery he led me to believe he had completed many ceramic knees,! I am really discussed with the whole process. The dr never mentioned that I could have any problems, in fact he said I would be doing cart wheels in the hall way after surgery! He insisted my good health and shape made me the ideal candidate for a successful knee replacement. Now I am thinking of getting an attorney just so I can back some of my money for all the extra pt, pills and dr bills I have had to pay out,

enuff81020 responded:
I'm so sorry this has happened to you. What are these docs saying is the source of your pain and what are they willing to do to help with that? At the very least, besides continuing physical therapy, you should probably get to see a pain management doctor.

It seems as if going for a second opinion was a good idea--but if your second procedure didn't help, what is that doc recommending. It doesn't sound like repeating surgery is a good idea in their minds, but what have they suggested? It may help you to go back with a list of written questions like this and insist on responses so that you know what can be done.

I am fortunate to have a very good medical team, unlike what I had with my back (a long story). In that situation, I went shopping for a doc I could work with and who would give me care that was helpful. You are a patient, but you are also a consumer and there are many good docs out there who will try everything reasonable and who will give you honest and honorable information along the way. My first suggestion is always to stick with the doc who knows your anatomy and has seen you in surgery, but when that doesn't work, you must move on.

I wish you success in getting relief and the care that will give you that relief. You are worth this effort as unpleasant as it might be.
Take care,
Sylvia

Helpful Tips

postop pain management
Consult with the anethesiologist relative to a pain management clinic who can help. In some cases, Lidoderm patches can be a big help as ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center