Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
long-term debilitating pain following knee replacement
An_250525 posted:
My brother had a knee replacement two years ago at the age of 50 and got a severe infection. Since then he has had constant debilitating pain, which impacts every aspect of his life. I cannot express how bad this is. He had exploratory surgery a year and a half out which actually made the pain worse, something he thought impossible. He has traveled to Philadelphia and seen one of the best doctors on the East Coast. He has tried acupuncture, pain management clinics, etc. No one has an answer for him. His pain medication has masked pain in his other knee, which is now failing, while not touching the pain in the affected leg. The leg is still incredibly swollen and requires periodic draining. Has anyone else had an experience like this? Can you give me advice for him and his wife? Please respond if you can offer any assistance.

Helpful Tips

postop pain management
Consult with the anethesiologist relative to a pain management clinic who can help. In some cases, Lidoderm patches can be a big help as ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center