Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
YEAR AFTER ACL & MENISCUS SURGERY: Should my knee still swell?
AlexD12 posted:
I tore my acl and had damage in both of my meniscuses of my right knee at the end of 2010. I had surgery and my acl was repaired and I believe my meniscus was either taken out or repaired. Its two years later and even though I dont have chronic pain or anything I spend alot of time at home and havent been doing much exercise. If i walk at a mall for 30 minutes or any type of brisk walking I have stiffness and swelling in my knee the next day. What can this be?

_swank_ responded:
Once you injure a knee it's never the same. If you've had parts of your meniscus removed then you've lost some of the cushion in your knee. This is going to cause pain at times. Eventually, you'll probably have arthritis. In the meantime, it's important to build up all the muscles around your knee. Instead of walking try biking and swimming. It's great exercise and knee friendly.

arbob5 replied to _swank_'s response:
I totally agree...swimming will really help you, and it's refreshing and really doesn't require a lot of energy. After I had both hips and one knee replaced, I joined a local swim club and used their facility 3-5 times a week. I never had any discomfort at all while in the water, and when I got out of the pool, I just felt great. I could tell the difference in a week of this schedule.

I hope you can find a facility near you and try this. I am sure it will help.

Bal M Rajagopalan, MD responded:
This is most likely arthritis..With a ACL surgery you tighten the knee so any damaged cartilage will be accelerated or magnified
DR RAJ MD,FRCSC
www.drhipandknee.com

Helpful Tips

TKR surgery and recovery
I had one knee done in March 2007, the other done in February 2009. I am 67 years old. I will tell you that I researched doctors before I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center