Skip to content
Knee swelling
DaveS121 posted:
I had total left knee replacement on Jan 17th. Recovery and rehab was going great until 9 weeks to the day post surgery. I came home from PT and iced my knee. I didn't feel anything wrong with PT. When i got up to put the ice pack back I couldn't walk or put pressure on my left leg. My knee really swelled up to the point it was too painful to put any weight on it. I saw my doctor the next day and he drained quite a bit of blood out of it, suggested I ice and keep it elevated over the weekend, which I did. It's now almost 2 weeks later and it's still going on. When I ice and eleavate teh swelling goes down, until I get a little bit active. It then swells up to where I can't walk on it. I've seen my doctor or his partner a total of 3 times in the last 12 days. X-rays were taken and they were normal. Saw my doc yesterday and he drained it again and sent a sample in for testing to ensure it's not infected. Don't think so, I haven't been running a fever. He also put me on a steroid regimen, that I started today. What I'm noticing today is when I elevate or ice the knee the swelling goes down significantly. Once I stand up the top of my knee swells back up right away. Asked my doctor about a MRI of the knee area, it sure sounds like something is torn, though I don't feel any pain until it's really swollen. He said the metal of the new knee would cause interference to the MRI picture. Not sure what's going on, but it's very frustrating. I've missed over 2 weeks of work which I can't really afford. Thanks for any suggestions or thoughts.

Helpful Tips

Uploading knee brace for OA Knee
Can anybody help me by giving his experience/opinion about the utility of offloader Knee Braces for Bilateral Medial Compartment ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center