Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Knee Pain after accident...
Peaceinwar posted:
In early January of this year I was the front passenger of a car accident. I had both my knees hit very hard of the dash leaving me bruised and bleeding. When I had gone to the hospital the had done X-rays of my neck, back, and knees and told me I was fine and just told me to take Tylenol that I'd feel better in a few days. I ended up finding out that I have some floating piece of bone in one of my knees that they think is NORMAL and isn't in anyway related to my pain.. It's going to be May now and although the pain in my back,neck, and shoulder are gone the pain in my knees are consistent. I have gone through physical therapy for many weeks now doing everything from ultrasound on them and even pain meds( which I NEVER take). Even the physical therapist doesn't think they can help with getting better. Stairs kill both up and down, standing long, walking too much, my attempts at working out are like hell sent, and at this point I'm losing hope that the pain will ever go away. I'm only 23 and I can't even go for a walk in the park without paying for it shortly after. My doctor for some reason think I don't have to go to a orthopedic doctor and refuses to give me a referral. I'm not one to complain about pain or very much but I just want to get my life back that this accident has taken away. I want to know what's wrong with my knees but I just want to get to the root to the issue and not cover it up with pain meds( my doctor wants me on Vicodin and similarly strong meds, which I refused to take until recently and rarely attempt to take). also before this accident i had slight discomfort in my knees but only after Long walks but in no way like this( possibly because of my flat feet?). Please any and all information that anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

Peaceinwar responded:
Also although my knees feel sore and stiff after walk, stairs, ect I don't see a difference in it visually.

jules770 replied to Peaceinwar's response:
Peaceinwar,
One thing I needed to learn during a 14 year experience with inflammatory arthritis is that We hire our doctors to attend to our health problems. They do not hire us as patients.At first I found myself very frustrated with my doctors until a good friend, a nurse, told me that. If your still in pain and your PCP wont listen it may be time to get a new doctor. It might be a good thing to get a second opinion. Ultrasound may not be what you need. There are many ways to see inside of knees.And no, floating bone fragments in joints are not normal!
You are the only one who knows how you feel. Advocate for yourself! And don't lose hope! Look for the solution!

Helpful Tips

tkr
after I had my tkr, I learned to go down stairs backwards hanging on a banister or my husbands arm. This was 13 years ago. it really took ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center