Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bilaterial Knee Replacement
Judihere posted:
I am 5 1/2 months post op and am disappointed that my right knee is not healing as well as the left knee. I've been going to therapy 2-3 times a week for the past 5 months and I get tired of hearing "everyone heals differently" yet when someone comes in who is doing exceptionally well I feel like I am being compared. When I tell the surgeon that I am still having significant swelling in my right knee he brushes me off with the same reply " 6 months to a year" yet I can sense what he really wants to say is "lady..quit asking me." I hear a lot from people who say I am brave to do both at the same time but the same people want to compare the recovery to some friend or relative who had one knee replaced two months ago. Sorry, I am discouraged today and decided to vent.

_swank_ responded:
You need to stop worrying about other people and concentrate on your own healing. You keep saying you don't want to be compared to others but then you compare one knee with the other. That's the problem with doing both at once. The outcomes can be totally different. and people don't prepare themselves for that possibility. My knee swelled for months after surgery. It's all part of the process.

Helpful Tips

postop pain management
Consult with the anethesiologist relative to a pain management clinic who can help. In some cases, Lidoderm patches can be a big help as ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center