Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    TKR and DVT
    bem2112 posted:
    My boyfriend just had a left TKR on 4/9/13. Morning after surgery, woke up with huge blisters on his calf. He seemed to be doing fine except for those. He was released from the hospital on the 12th, and came home, following his dr's recommendation. On the 14th, he started having severe calf pain, which he thought was a DVT, since he had one 8 yrs ago, and said it felt just like that. Called the EMT's, and they said the same. At the ER, saw the ER doc an hour later, and he scheduled an ultrasound. Which was incomplete, due to his blisters, the tech said. After 5 hours, was sent home with a new dressing on his knee and blisters. Called his surgeon on the 15th, couldn't get in until the 18th. Saw a partner on the 18th, said it was just inflammation. Gave him script for pain and sent on our way. Pain was still severe, if not more. He had a scheduled appt with surgeon on the 22nd. He said it was just inflammation and the pain was in his head, not his leg. Sent home.....Made another emergency appt with one of his partners on the 25th. Said same thing about inflammation and keep elevated. Didn't seem to be getting anywhere with them, so I took him to the nearest ER, which I knew they would have to give him and ultrasound, with all of his symptoms. Diagnosis from the ER was a DVT. Next day, called his surgeon to let him know. Didn't make an appt for him until today......Last Monday, his surgeon called PT and said Dave was fine to go back to physical therapy, without even seeing him. When we went to see him today, he said that the blood clot was just superficial, and to go back to PT.
    Is there any way to go about getting a second opinion from another surgeon, or at least change to one for aftercare??? Not sure how to go about this. Any information would be great!!!!

    Helpful Tips

    Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
    For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    59 of 76 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center