Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Extreme fatigue following hip replacement
Trissa46 posted:
I'm 46 years old and had my hip replaced March 13, 2013. Pain has been greatly reduced but I'm exhausted all the time. I have no energy and have to force myself to do the smallest thing. I am a RN so I have not returned to work and honestly I'm so tired I can't even imagine being back full time. I'm not sad or depressed but very frustrated and I'm getting very concerned something else is wrong. If anyone having had total joint replacement has experienced anything similar I would greatly appreciate advice or thoughts on this.

arbob5 responded:
I'm sorry to hear about your exhaustion since having your hip replaced. I am 75 years old and had my right hip replaced on July 16, 2012, and I have to say, I had no problems at all after the surgery. In fact, I had my left hip replaced 9 years ago, and while I didn't have any real problems, as I recall, that surgery took about 2 hours (according to my husband), and I had in home therapy for three weeks and outpatient therapy for 8 weeks. But other than that, no other problems. Now with this latest surgery, it took about 45 minutes (again according to my husband and daughter), I came home 2 days after surgery, on day three I started in home therapy twice weekly for two weeks, and I was/am amazed at the complete, wonderful recovery I had. It is amazing to me, because of my age.

I have a friend who had a lot of exhaustion after her shoulder surgery, and that went on for a few months after the surgery. Her Dr. felt she was having some sort of unusual reaction to the anesthetic she received and it gradually did go away. Now whether this is a possibility with you, I really don't know. Have you asked your Dr. about your situation and did he/she have any ideas what was going on with you? Being a RN yourself, have you ever heard of something like this?

I certainly hope you start feeling better. Please keep us posted on your progress. And God bless.

13Bree88 responded:
hi, trissa... have you approached your surgeon about this? have you been in a revision surgery? what side effects you've been suffered? please, let me know... maybe I can help you in a little way.. have a great day..

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center