Complication Nightmare
leighwlo posted:
Hello- Help!!
I had bilateral total knee replacements on Jan 8th 2013.
Five weeks later I was getting up from the dinner table and suddenly fractured my right kneecap. My surgeon put me on pain killers and a leg immobilizer for a week and operated on day 7 or 2/15/2013 Originally he was going to wire the kneecap back together but when he got in there the kneecap was shattered, and he ended up removing 80% of my patella and then repaired the extensor mechanism. I spent the next six weeks on the immobilizer and then began PT for 2 months but have not made a lot of progress, lots of pain, still dependent on a walker, and still cannot lift my right leg.
I went to the surgeon for a follow up visit this week and he did an ultrasound and tells me I need a THIRD surgery, this time for "Patellar/Quardrceps disruption or the right total knee." This surgery entails using donor tissue - an "allograft reconstruction of the R extensor mechanism".
I am only 58 years old, would appreciate any feedback. Has anyone else out there experienced this same problem or am I the unluckiest girl in the world.....