Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Complication Nightmare
leighwlo posted:
Hello- Help!!
I had bilateral total knee replacements on Jan 8th 2013.
Five weeks later I was getting up from the dinner table and suddenly fractured my right kneecap. My surgeon put me on pain killers and a leg immobilizer for a week and operated on day 7 or 2/15/2013 Originally he was going to wire the kneecap back together but when he got in there the kneecap was shattered, and he ended up removing 80% of my patella and then repaired the extensor mechanism. I spent the next six weeks on the immobilizer and then began PT for 2 months but have not made a lot of progress, lots of pain, still dependent on a walker, and still cannot lift my right leg.
I went to the surgeon for a follow up visit this week and he did an ultrasound and tells me I need a THIRD surgery, this time for "Patellar/Quardrceps disruption or the right total knee." This surgery entails using donor tissue - an "allograft reconstruction of the R extensor mechanism".
I am only 58 years old, would appreciate any feedback. Has anyone else out there experienced this same problem or am I the unluckiest girl in the world.....

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center