Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
is running an option?
LAUtah posted:
I am a 43 year old female, 10.5months post TKA. I want to know if anyone is or knows anyone who does some running after TKA. My recover has been stellar! I have excellent range of motion and expect to have minimal problems once I get my strength back. Kneeling is problmeatic, but thats ok.

I've read that there is some research that says running has shown to be helpful to the longevity of the knee, but its just one study and not something i want to hang my hat on.

I dont expect to be a cometitive runner, but I would like to run the occasional 5K or even the rarer half-marathon (and when I say run, i really mean jog).

anyone? Am I an absolute crazy person?

_swank_ responded:
Your best advice is to ask your own doctor. They generally advise against running simply because your knee takes a beating. It's hard on real knees so it's going to be hard on a fake one. TKRs eventually start to break down. There's cement in there that can fracture and cause your implant to loosen. Lots of running can cause that to happen sooner, rather than later. So you can probably run, but your knee won't last as long. Biking and swimming are much easier on knees.

Helpful Tips

Uploading knee brace for OA Knee
Can anybody help me by giving his experience/opinion about the utility of offloader Knee Braces for Bilateral Medial Compartment ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center