Skip to content
The good TKR was a fluke?
An_252228 posted:
I had bi-lateral TKR last December, 2012. The right knee was a total success, recovery was easy and I was ready to go after eight weeks. I'm almost six months out and if it wasn't for the scar on my right leg I wouldn't even know I had surgery. The left knee on the other hand has been a nightmare from the minute I woke up. The pain was horrendous, and it felt like a piece of metal had been pounded onto the end of my femur and the implant on my lower leg was not much better. The worst of it was the feeling like there was a peg or dowel in the bottom of my femur. The best way I could explain it to my Doctor was to put a ball bearing in your knee joint and walk on it. Not only can I feel every inch of my top implant it also feels like my bone is moving inside of it whenever I take a step. By the time I go home from work it feels like someone is running a metal file around the end of my femur. When I drive home I have to hold on to my knee because the normal vibration from the truck irritates it to the point of excruciating pain and I can feel the end of my bone rubbing against the vibrating implant. Not only that but when I walk it's like the implant scrapes and digs into my patella. The farther I bend my leg the more the pressure builds until it feels like my patella is going to brake or explode. My PT said I had unbelievable range of motion in both legs after my surgery, if it was for this pain I could almost bend my legs back until my heel touched my buttocks.

When I get up in the morning I know this is the best my knee is going to feel today, but when I get up I have to be very careful because the joint is so lose it will hyperextend easily. By the time I get to work it has swollen and stiffened enough that it goes away but then it feels like my implant is chewing on the swollen tissue and it just gets worse as the day goes on, the bites just get bigger as the tissue swells.

Now back to the feeling of having a peg in my knee. One day I was walking down the hall at work and it start hurting with every step, and I mean unbelievable pain that would leave me grabbing for anything I could get hold of to get off my leg. It feel like someone was trying to pull the peg out of my leg but it was stuck. Then finally with one step there was a sharp explosive pain in my knee like it finally came out and followed by a sharp burning pain like my bone had a crack in it, this lasted for a couple of days. I was happy that the pain was finally gone but shortly after this I started getting the feeling like the peg was still there, it was just moving up and down now.

Finally, the weirdest or scariest thing of all, my left leg is now at least a half inch shorter than the right. When I was eighteen I had surgery on my right knee and I was in a cast from my hip to my toes for 12 weeks. For some reason it stunted the growth of my right leg so it was a little smaller and a little shorter than the left after I finally stopped growing. I ended up with a full shoe size difference between them so I have to buy size fourteens and always tie them tight on my right foot. You can also see difference in the bone mass in x-rays. So now my left leg is even shorter than it was longer compared to the right leg. It's short enough that I have to take smaller steps because if I try to take a normal step, like before the surgery, my heel will not make contact and I end up walking on the front of my foot.

All these things I have pointed out to my Doctor who wants to avoid any discussion of my symptoms. He just looks at me and smiles, and tells me "I think it's going to get better and stop hurting." He acts like the normal recovery of my right leg was a fluke!

I don't think I have any option but to seek legal intervention at this point. Has anyone ever had symptoms like these?

_swank_ responded:
What sort of help do you think a lawyer is going to give you? They can't fix your knee. If your own doctor won't help then seek out another surgeon that deals with issues like this. Some doctors won't deal with another surgeon's mess but there are others that will. We have a surgeon in my area that specializes in failed joint replacements.

The success rate for TKRs is somewhere around 95% so it's more likely your bad knee is the fluke. If a good TKR is a fluke for your surgeon then you don't want him dealing with your knee, let alone trying to fix it.

Anon_136697 replied to _swank_'s response:
TKR is a painful surgery, my uncle underwent tkr for right knee a year ago and it failed, then for his left knee he underwent SPMF technology at SBF healthcare. SPMF is non-invasive and painless as it requires patients to lie down on a MRI kind of machine for an hour for 21 consecutive days. My uncle has recovered completely and he was able to quit pain medication.

mjreid replied to Anon_136697's response:
what is spmf

Neel07 replied to mjreid's response:
Please check this website www.sbfhealthcare.com

_swank_ replied to mjreid's response:
Don't bother looking up SPMF. This guy is trying to peddle the amazing cure for everything for a couple days. His mom, dad, aunt, uncle, etc. have all been cured of everything.

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center