Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Can MRI miss an knee injury?
dewiz2006 posted:
In March I completely tore my left hamstring off my ischium. I tore my hamstring off trying to move around a component in a Jiujitsu competition. When I did i slipped and my left leg straightened out and with my body weight plus my opponent my leg Hyperextended and felt my hamstring tear. It retracted down my leg 4 inches. I had surgery in April 3 weeks after the injury.

My issue now is and then when the injury occurred was having major pain in the back of my knee. I was told by my surgeon that it was referred pain etc. I had an MRI done 3 days ago. I received a call from my surgion saying there were no abnormalities. I want to know with the injury I had could the MRI have missed something? Also, not sure if my surgeon even looked at my images!

I have spasms all the time my knee feels unstable and I have pain if I do too much like shop or clean or mow my lawn. The pain is in the middle of the back of my knee. I have girding and at times my knee feels like my knee locks. What do I do?

_swank_ responded:
If you're not satisfied with your doctor then you can get your MRI and get another opinion. To answer your question, yes, things can get missed in an MRI. And, since humans are reading them, it's possible for them to miss also. It's quite possible your surgeon didn't see the actual images. The images are first read by a radiologist and they are the experts at reading them. They write a report and then send it to the surgeon. Any time I've had an MRI I have taken the actual images to the surgeon at a follow up appt. so he can see them. Your surgeon may have just read the report and that's fine, too.

Bal M Rajagopalan, MD replied to _swank_'s response:
MRI have miss rates of 5 to 20 percents due to the cuts, movement, quality. In the end of the day the MRI is only a guide. Trust your surgeon . If you don't feel confident with him then by all means speak to a second or third ortho

BR
DR RAJ MD,FRCSC
www.drhipandknee.com

dewiz2006 replied to Bal M Rajagopalan, MD's response:
My MRI state the following: posteromedial joint capsule mild sprain, Mild semimembranosus tendinopathy at tibial insertion, strain of the visualized semimembranosus musculature. My Dr. said said there is nothing wrong, I do not understand how I would still have the sprain/strains after being in traction for 6 weeks and on crutches for almost 10 wweeks. What does all this mean? Would this be causing me behind the knee spasms and pain on the outside and under my knee? Also, my knee has giving out 2 times, one time coming down the stairs, I do not want to be a pain to my Dr. but I do not know if he even looked at the images. I see him again on July 9th but feel that there is something wrong. Looking for some classifications to what the MRI said and advice!

Helpful Tips

postop pain management
Consult with the anethesiologist relative to a pain management clinic who can help. In some cases, Lidoderm patches can be a big help as ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center