Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Bone Bruise?
    RCook2324 posted:
    About 2 months ago I bang knees with another player while playing basketball and it is still hurting. There is a bump on my knee cap were it was hit and it is hard to run on. I've done some research and I am thinking it is a bone bruise. My senior year in high school is coming up and I'm really trying to get back on the court as soon as possible so I can prepare for the season. Does any one know how I can treat this?
    _swank_ responded:
    You should take it to an orthopedic doctor and let him tell you how to treat it. Treatment totally depends on a diagnosis. Self-diagnosis via the internet is generally a bad idea. Knees are very complicated and if you don't take care of them you could be in for a world of hurt.
    RCook2324 replied to _swank_'s response:
    I went to the doctor and had an X-ray done and he found nothing wrong. And the pain is still here. I dont know what to do.
    _swank_ replied to RCook2324's response:
    Was your doctor an orthopedic surgeon? If not, then go to one of those. If he was then tell him you're still in pain or go to another one. X-rays only see bones, they do not see soft tissue and that's where most of the damage happens in a knee. For that you need an MRI.

    Helpful Tips

    What is hip pain, and what else could it be?Expert
    Frequently hip pain is mistaken for another diagnosis and vice versa. In my practice, I have seen people have hip replacements from various ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    28 of 38 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center