Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Botched knee surgery? Help please!
Minagirl posted:
So my hubby had knee surgery back in the 80's, they replaced his ACL with a chun of his own thigh/tendon muscle. A year later it failed, so they did an Allograft (cadaver tendon) and shortly after that surgery he had an infection, they put in a drain tube and treated the infection. However, they also broke the top of his tibia and fibula loose when dislocating his knee to replace the tendon.
He has never regained a full range of motion in that knee. These days, he has horrific scarring to the skin, and his knee is deformed, the bones are far wider then his other knee, his knee cap is gone, and he has a ton of pain, as well as needing a knee brace to be able to walk. He cannot run, kneel or bend that leg very much at all. His day to day activities are limited, and the pain level is increasing over time.
What on earth can we do? Docs say no knee replacement because he is under 50yrs old.

Minagirl responded:
Oh, and the screws to hold the tendon in are so close to the skin they frequently "pop" through if he bumps his leg on anything or his knee brace's rub on them. We are at such a loss!

Helpful Tips

TKR surgery and recovery
I had one knee done in March 2007, the other done in February 2009. I am 67 years old. I will tell you that I researched doctors before I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center