Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How do you know when to do a TKR?
mfullmike posted:
I know this is different for everyone, but how do you know when it's time for a total knee replacement? I'm 59 years old and I've been told I have almost no cartilege left in both my knees. I've tried to stay active. I quit running, but I just hiked 40 miles with a backpack in Yosemite and it was a four-day torture because of the knee pain. Before my trip I got the cortisone shots and that helped a lot, but the overall punishment to the knees was just too much. My doctor said you do it when you think you have no other choice and it impinges on your lifestyle. I feel like that is now. Those of you that have had it done, how did you decide when it was the right time to have it done?

jamin2013 responded:
I'm 75 soon and did a LOT over my life...my knee has been an issue for about 15 yrs.....I've never been as active as you and hiking 40 miles etc....Never would even think that.

Anyway, look at Prolotherapy before you do this major stuff...

A prolo MD says as long as one can bend knees there is cartlidge there and MD's continually talk bone on bone....grrrrrrr

jointrehab.com is a good site to start with. I had successful Prolo in my shoulder and am considering it for knee....

Helpful Tips

What is hip pain, and what else could it be?Expert
Frequently hip pain is mistaken for another diagnosis and vice versa. In my practice, I have seen people have hip replacements from various ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center