Skip to content
Back Pain after knee surgery
mee106 posted:
I had knee replacement about 1 1/2 yrs ago on my right knee. Dr said the other needed to be done. Didn't have good experience with 1st one so haven't had the other done. 2 months ago started having back pain. Does anyone know if this could be from not having the left knee done?

_swank_ responded:
Limping or otherwise changing your stride due to knee pain can cause back issues. Whether a knee replacement will solve that is anyone's guess. The damage I sustained from being knock-kneed and having a leg length discrepancy before surgery has been permanent.

mommie12356 responded:
I had a total knee replacement.And since then a bad back also.Doctors say it may be beacuse of how i am walking know.

Gremma responded:
Okay, hold onto your socks . . . in 2001 I developed back pain that was so severe I could not sit or stand for more than 45 minutes. When my doc sent me to xray I felt sure the radiologist would come out and say, "your back hurts because you have a knife in your back!" That's what it felt like, a knife just left of my spine just above my bra strap. I got every test in the world, no one could figure out what was going on with my back. I tore up my knee skiing, I tore my ACL, MCL, fractured patella, fractured femur, cartilidge damage, tendon damage, lateral meniscus tear and it took 5 surgeries and 3 screws to fix; and I don't know how many days in PT. Finally they sent me to a Pain Management doc and I thought that was it for me, pain meds for the rest of my life. Then after a year a friend asked me to see just one more doc about it, said they specialized in back problems. After 3 months I called him; this new doc sent me to a PT place that was practicing a new method. Seems some three years earlier a doc hurt himself and could not golf anymore, he found this unacceptable. He worked with several instruments and tools until he found a way to loosen up his arm enough to be able to exercise, and returned to golfing. When I went late in 2001, there were only 6 other PT places using this new method in CA! I went and they took this new "tool" and ran it over heathy muscle tissue, it was smooth and painless, then they ran it over my bad back, it was painful and lumpy like cottage cheese, it was scar tissue, adhesions, keyloids. I had held myself so tight for so long that adhesions had formed keeping my muscles from moving the way they were suppose to. One set of muscles was almost atrophied and the other set of muscles was so over-worked that I could only function with them for about 45 minutes. I worked with them for 6 months and cut pain meds in half, 6 months later-in half again. NOW, hear is the interesting part, 5 years later my knee got twisted again and I had to have another knee surgery AND my back pain started to return in earnest! Part of the reason my back got so bad was me tightening my back in response to knee pain, to crutches, and pain during PT, but I also had been rear-ended 3 times, twice at about 35 mph, and once at 60-65 mph. Your back can take only so much abuse, then it quits trying. I am very grateful I found this PT place, they can keep my back from forming adhesions while I continue the exercises that are absolutely necessary if I am to maintain any sort of life at all. I am just one of those people who form adhesions, scar tissue, and/or keyloids following a trauma. I also formed them in my knee following my fall. I didn't have any surgery for 5 years after I fell, the doc immobilized my knee for 8 weeks, then it would not bend again, the adhesions had formed around it holding it straight. After 5 months of very painful PT they had to put me out and bend it (manipulation). When the doc finally got in there he said he spent almost an hour just removing scar tissue, which he said is unheard of unless you've previously had surgery. Well I am known as the "Scar Tissue Queen" at his office now. I am about to have #7 surgery and my back is painful. Now with my knee so bad I exercise in the pool and see PT to keep adhesions from forming in my back, 'cause I have definitely been tightening my back, my knee is really hurting, and I can feel all the tightening in my back. I didn't connect the dots to all this until last year when my knee got bad again, but prior to my 2001 debilitating back pain I had surgery in '97, '98, '99 and '00 with all the PT that goes with it. It's not the knee replacement, it's your reaction to pain in your knee, how you hold yourself when you have pain, when you sit, walk, sleep, and do PT. My PT guys are ASTYM certified, that is the system that loosens the back so you can exercise. I'm in Silicon Valley, CA, I don't know where you are in the world, but call around for this system, it works

Helpful Tips

Knee op comfort
I have. 2. Tkr. And. I wade in The. Pool More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center