Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    I have spinal stenosis , osteoarthritis and a 2x replaced shoulder
    Anon_81506 posted:
    With all the above I am in pain management yet now a new Dr. is pressing me to undergo bi-lateral TKR-I am 55 and really hesitant to undergo this procedure as i live alone .
    suggestions ?
    georgia888 responded:
    Seeing as joint replacement is major surgery, it should be the last of treatment options.

    How badly do your knees affect your quality of life? Have you tried alternative treatments such as water therapy and/or other exercises? Are you overweight? Additional weight is a burden on all joints, but most especially the knees.

    The expert doctor on this site (Dr. Raj) is very much against bilateral replacements. Research this site to read his reasons why.

    Have you considered a second opinion?


    Helpful Tips

    Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
    For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    59 of 76 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center