Skip to content
Big Toe Joint Fusion
Phildizzle posted:
After going through all surgical options my doctor has recommended big toe joint fusion due to arthritis. Had a cheilectomy 18 years ago.

Questions for anyone who has had this:
  • Suggestions for speedy recovery
  • Because it is my right toe I have been told no driving for 6 weeks--anyone else have this recommendation?
  • How much pain is there after recovery
  • Any other tips
Thanks.

Keenebd responded:
About 20 years ago (after some marathon running), I developed a permanently painful big toe. A stainless steel toe joint replacement was inserted to replace the normal joint. I have had no problems since. No pain whatever. There is motion loss in the joint, but I gather not the same amount as there would be with a fusion. However, I cannot tell you that the remaining motion is useful in any particular way. But you might want to ask if joint replacement is an option for you. I know that when vertabrae in the spine are fused, it puts pressure on the adjacent vertabrae. Maybe that doesn't happen with feet. I realize I am not giving you definitive information, but just wanted to tell you my experience: No pain or other problems. Some slight joint flexibility, which may or may not be useful. Best of luck.

Helpful Tips

Knee op comfort
I have. 2. Tkr. And. I wade in The. Pool More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center