Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
2nd TKR.....a pair of Aces...
dibbits0530 posted:
It is true that we do not remember pain. A TKR was performed on my left knee 3 years ago. I do not remember the pain or types of pain experienced from the previous surgery, only that I was a miserable patient at home. This time I was alone with no one to help me around so I cooked, cleaned; kept myself up.

What separates this surgery from the last is that I have right sided radicular syndrome (same side as current replacement). This syndrome is a complex result from a birthing. High forceps breech in 1955 was a best a risk. My head was near the sternum and my feet at my chin. I was tilted to the right and lodged in place. The complication (as if this was not enough) was the umbilical cord was wrapped 3 times around my neck, chin and chest. C-section was not an option as it was considered a higher risk than the breech.

So with the right side being as such, does the replacement seek to correct a right side from head to toe from a life-long (I am 58) displacement from 2 bends in the back, an out-turned leg and foot? It might also be noted that right-side development versus left-side development is notable, right-side being under formed. There have been a variety of changes to my right side since the surgery (July 8, 2013). All of this results in a variety of sensations and types and levels of pains that make daily life difficult especially sleep. 3 hours at any given time is about all my body can stand without all of this waking me.

How does this (if at all) come together within the healing process?

david

Helpful Tips

postop pain management
Consult with the anethesiologist relative to a pain management clinic who can help. In some cases, Lidoderm patches can be a big help as ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center