Skip to content
some sharp stiffness pain all of the sudden after 9 months
cos502 posted:
I am 55 yrs old and had my TKR nine mos. ago. Since then I ahve pushed myself to the max. It's just how I am. I am currently bicycling an average of 150 miles a week and sustaining average speeds of 18-19 mph over a 30-50 mile ride. All has been great until about 3 weeks ago when I started having a minor sharp pain when (only now and then), but have increased stiffness. There is no stiffness or pain when I ride. I am 6'1" and weigh 225 lbs. Body fat is in the 13-15%. My range of motion is ok but not where I would like it. Is it possible that this is just over use or is it something I should be concerned about?

mfishlaw responded:
Congrats on your recovery, well done!
It's drive and ambition that has gotten you to this point.
I had bi-lat 8 months ago and just finished a 3 day, 300 mile ride avg, 20 mph, so I know exactly had you went through and want it takes to keep at that level. Are you taking any anti-inflam meds? I would think it's "over use", my range is still limited,but due to the number of work outs, usually, doing daily hour cardio, 2x a day, stat.bike or elliptical and 3 road rides out doors a week. Avg 125 , plenty of stiffness, but not on the bike, as well. I can stand on the climbs or ride seated, no problems, just the range of motion isn't as defined, as I would like. I do find the use of anti-inflams help in keeping me pain free. Still working on my gait, as my left knee is "normal", the right still seems to drag a bit, but still much better than pre-surgery. Might want to speak to your P/T guy or even your Dr. for direction. Guess if we took some time off, that mught cure all the issues.
Best of Luck on your recovery!

cos502 replied to mfishlaw's response:
Thanks.....for your thoughts. You're doing super. We sound like we're at about the same place. Do you use the Strava program? If not it's a nice program. If you do search mark cosma and let me know.

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center