Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Shattered Calcaneus (Heel Bone)
erinohs09 posted:
I've noticed that nobody has really posted about this in years. I thought I should share my story. On May 28 2012, last year for memorial day, I went canoeing (from Louisiana LOL). I decided to swing off of a rope swing. I ended up landing in the shallow water and landing on my left foot. For someone who had never had surgery or had ever been hurt before, I did not realize how big of a life altering injury this was. After going to the emergency room that afternoon, I found out that I shattered my left heel bone, or Calcaneus, into pieces. After visiting an orthopedic surgeon, my surgery was scheduled two weeks later. Doctor told me that the swelling had to go down before he could operate. On the day of my surgery, I stayed in the operating room for like 6 hours. The doctor cut an L shaped incision on the outside of my foot. He put 10 screws and a metal plate into my heel. He said that putting the bone back together was like nailing jell-o to a tree. I had 22 stitches and a drainage tube outside of my foot. He kept me in the hospital for three nights on a morphine drip pump. My doctor was good about keeping the pain under control with the morphine and percocets. The surgery was rough and the meds made me sick but I really can't complain. The doctor pulled the pump out of my foot (HORRIBLE PAIN) after three days. My stitches were removed after 5 weeks. Once the stitches were removed, I went from a wrapped up sling to a walking boot (But no weight baring). After about 9 1/2 weeks, I began weight baring. While I was in the boot, I was allowed to start doing foot motions which helped 100%. my doctor wanted me to be in a hard cast but I begged to wear the boot. He said in the end it was a good decision. While I was in the boot, I would get in the pool and swim.. definitely helped get my movement back. Once I FINALLY could put weight on it, I started physical therapy. That, by far, was the hardest part of it all. But the more work you put in your foot, the better. After about a month, I was walking good with a small limp. Slowly, my limp got better. The pain became more tolerable too. After about six months, I was walking like normal but certain movements of my foot would hurt. After about 15 months later, I'm doing pretty good. I have a surgery scheduled September 26th to take the metal out and fuze a joint and fix a few problems. I have my good days and bad days. It's tolerable but some of the things you use to do, you might not be able to do so easy. I guess it's how much you put your mind to it. The whole incident was not easy and the pain was crazy but it DOES get better. Keep your head up. Hope this helps. Im nervous about my surgery coming up. Hope it isn't as bad as my one last year. Ready to get this metal out of my foot.

Helpful Tips

postop pain management
Consult with the anethesiologist relative to a pain management clinic who can help. In some cases, Lidoderm patches can be a big help as ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center