Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
post hip revision surgery pain - what is it
donberry posted:
I have ankylosing spondylitis and my spine is totally, 100% fused from neck to buttocks. Due to complications from that, i had one hip replaced in 1992 and the other around 1999.
One of them wore out and i had revision surgery Monday August 19. Fortunately they did not have to replace the stem, just the ball and socket and apparently had to add some bone, but everything went well and this being my 3rd one, against the nurses wishes I was released the next day. I could get around just fine and the dotor and therapist agreed with me - the nurse wasn't too happy about that tho.
Everything went just fine, better than expected really considering I was 20 years older and less mobile - but I am a master of getting around mobility problems since I have had this since 1981.
Anyway, may have had it the whole time but I just thought it was "normal" pain from the surgery, but starting around week 5-6, I noticed a deep pain inside my hip, especially when lying down or sitting. More often than not i have a really hard time sleeping because of it and I alsi have a hard time sitting in a car for a long period of time (anything over 15-20 minutes is very bothersome), BUT, I can ride my motorcycle and not notice it.
I have been trying my best to think of a way to describe this pain, but i just can't put it into words.
Obviously the 1st thought is the sciatic nerve, but I do not have any numbness and it does not shoot down my leg, it is always just deep in my hip. I take neurontin for peripheral neuropathy in my calves and feet and that does not seem to help at all. I also take 90mg of morphine a day for pain from my a.s., and it does not affect that pain at all (which makes me think nerve - but I think I don't seem to have the right symptoms )
I wish I could describe the pain. It isn't a stabbing pain or a burning pain, but it is just a constant , seemingly really deep pain, like maybe my bone itself hurting. At times it does seem like one of those pains where if someone could just grab my femur and pull it really hard it would help.
Neurontin doesn't touch it and morphine doesn't touch the pain (I also tried a fentanyl patch instead of the morphine last month and it did not help either.
i saw the surgeon for my 6 week check up and it was just starting to be really noticeable, so I mentioned it to the nurse but did not stress it, so it wasn't brought up again. My 6 week x-ray looked fine but the doctor did say i had a decent amount of bone loss (actually he said that in the hospital and a couple of times, so it seemed like it may have bothered him a bit)
I see him again in about 3 months, but I doubt there is anything that can be done. I guess i could see about taking some lyrica instead of the neurontin ?, but I am not sold on it being a nerve pain, but not sure what else it could be.
Sorry so long, i dud warn you i was terrible at trying to describe this. maybe it is what it might be like if someone had hooked up a powerful tens unit to my bone and cranked it up .
And as mentioned, tho it is there all of the time, it is more bothersome when sitting or lying down, so it has really affected my sleep and i do not sleep that great to begin with.
So, i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas besides a sciatic nerve or could it be the sciatic nerve even tho there is no numbing or shooting down the leg ?
I may call him for an appointment sooner than the 3 months from now, but i hate to waste his time plus I hate the 1 1/2 hour drive to get there if as i expect it is just something i have to deal with - and hopefully will eventually go away if it is a nerve problem.
Anyway - any ideas appreciated.
again, sorry so long

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center