Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Total Knee Replacement
An_254020 posted:
I had a TKR in Feb. of 2012. I have been suffering with pain ever since. I have had a bone scan (which was positive), a test for infection (negative), an ultrasound which showed two seromas. I have had two steroid injections, arthroscopic surgery to remove scar tissue. I have been to physical therapy four times, had laser treatments, graston therapy, acupuncture, ultrasound, tens therapy, ice, heat. Nothing has worked, pain still there. I have seen two different OS,they say nothing wrong. I cannot kneel, extremely painful and knee cap feels spongy. Since my surgery I have developed restless leg syndrome, double vision, itchy skin. My physiotherapist recommended that I be checked for Fibromyalgia, I did and yes I have it. So, I had the surgery to get rid of pain and now have to deal with four extra problems. Has anyone had this happen to them?

mike201 responded:
Hi An

I had a total knee replacement 12 weeks ago and all is good. In your case perhaps consider:
- lots of stationary bike cycling but build up slowly
- walk a little every day building up to 3 mlles
- sleep with a pillow between your knees

Yes, I can not kneel and still have trouble with stairs. This will improve in about 12 months. Yes, I have a major secondary condition as well which existed before the operation.

I did 45 hours of physio over three weeks and this has been a major success factor. You just can't get away with a few minutes each day in exercise. Hope this helps.

Roxannemc responded:
Someone on another site mentioned have they tested for nickel allergy to someone who had things wrong like you do and pain still Worth looking into.

Helpful Tips

postop pain management
Consult with the anethesiologist relative to a pain management clinic who can help. In some cases, Lidoderm patches can be a big help as ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center