Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Scar Tissue Adhesion
VivaVegas posted:
I had knee replacement on 12/8 and had to have manipulation done on 1/8 due to excessive scar tissue. Thank goodness I was sedated because I wouldn't be able to handle it!! I still have some pretty decent pain even though on pain killers (don't really work well for me). Massage? Herbs? Can anyone give me any ideas or suggestions? Thank you!!

Gremma responded:
I am known as "Scar Tissue Queen" in my docs office! I really tore my knee up though. I was skiing and did a helicopter fall and 1 ski stayed on so my knee really got twisted. I tore my ACL, MCL, fractured my patella and femur, lateral meniscus tear, and cartilidge and tendon damage. They immobilzed my knee for 8 weeks, then tried to bend it . . . no way! My little knee had been warm for the whole 8 wks and it had formed adhesions to keep that puppy straight! I also had to have a manipulation, after 5 mos. of very painful PT where they tried and tried to get it bent. My best advice, keep your knee moving. My manipulation and PT were so painful that 16 years later I make sure everyday that I can completely bend it and straighten it, I never want adhesions to form again. Take the Glucosamine, Chrondrotin and MSM supplements, you can find them all in one pill, and keep that knee moving! If you're like me, I can form adhesions anywhere I have had trauma, no matter how much time has passed. Do exercises in a pool if you have to, but keep that knee loose and moving. If it hurts for more than a few weeks see the doc again. They didn't know how badly my knee was until they got inside, then it took 6 surgeries and 3 screws to fix it. Hyper-extension sucks, huh? Work hard to keep what you have, and remember, it can always get worse, so be grateful you have what you have. Good luck!

An_206531 replied to Gremma's response:
Oh boy! You are scaring me! My knee tried to go sideways, oh, over 7 months ago, doing way more damage than anyone thought at the time. My ortho doc had a cow when we finally did an MRI & wanted to do surgery asap.

One problem though.. I am a last year nursing student and darned if they won't throw me out if I "show up on crutches again". (If you ever had an unsympathetic nurse, nursing school might be why. Trial by fire, man. They throw students out left and right.) ADA says they have to make "reasonable accommodations", as I am told over and over, which means they can't throw me out for wearing a brace and walking like Quasimodo. So I adjust and do my best. I have worked too hard for too long to quit. Ya think the doc's would understand, but they are a bit pissy.

But man, my leg won't straighten out anymore. I ask the Doc's and they grumble about surgery & quad exercises & adhesions but they don't give me any useful information. They say no pools, (or beaches or boats... so much for summer). I graduate early August, take state boards and guess surgery is around labor day.

I'm going to really laid up, aren't I?!!

Whose going to straighten that leg anyway? PT? Just what kind of drugs will they have to give me anyway.

Anything I can do now? Besides the day time brace, nite time brace, and quad exercises I can barely do.

I have been kinda not thinking about it. Just getting around and keeping my A - average keeps my mind busy. Now I'm a bit scared....

But you are so right. Count your blessings. I should have been hurt way, way more than I was, but someone was looking out for me that day. I landed unbelievably well. I have done clinicals on cancer wards. I may not be able to walk well.. and it sounds like it's not going to be much of a holiday season for me this year, but at least I am alive. Even now, with the limp and the pain and the constant 'accommodations" the quality of my life is pretty darn good.

Happy to hear anything anyone has to say. Glad to find the tips, even if you are scaring me a bit...

Irony... my last clinical rotation is the same ortho post op floor I will be on! Purely random, or was it? I have to wonder. One thing is for sure I will be one sympathetic nurse!

Uh, I will be able to sail a boat again, won't I?

j

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center