Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
First week
digisignman posted:
Underwent total hip replacement surgery anterior approach on Monday Nov 25th at nyu Langone. Surgery went well, longer then expected due to my hip being in such miserable shape, bone spurs, arthritis, and moving out of place near dislocation. Regardless, Surgeon said everything turned out perfectly. PT at hospital progressed well, they had me up right away even in the OR recovery room. Discharge was complicated with my BP being low but remedied by a unit of blood back into me. Pre op I had put two units in the blood bank so got my own blood back. Discharged in two days , Wednesday Nov 27. Home now and feel good about my progress. Doing exercises and walking with aids. Happy to answer any questions you might have.

jamin2013 responded:
I had anterior Hip replacement Oct 2010, all went quite well and into 5th month have gone down down down.....knee and ankle affected, IT band damage on side of hip replacement.....but no groin pain.

I have a LOT of OA thru my body and this trauma exacerbated everything....plus I deal with Fibro pain issues....would I do it again, don't know.

treeworker responded:
I too have to get my hip(s) replaced. Now that's it's been a month...how are you feeling? Also, should I bank some blood up? That was never mentioned to me. I am looking into going in sometime in late January, no date set yet until 1st of year. Hope all is still going well for you. Take it slow...Lol.

digisignman replied to treeworker's response:
Thanks for the good wishes. This coming Monday will be 6 weeks since the surgery and I am doing great, very pleased with the results. I graduated from a walker to a cane in 2 weeks and now since week 4 without a cane. Had pain meds to manage pain and have been weaning myself off them over the last four days. Re your question on banking blood. I banked 2 units and needed to use 1 right after surgery, so glad I had my own to take in. I also took iron supplements pre surgery during the time I was giving blood. Also keep in mind an anterior vs. Posterior approach. I had anterior and recovery has gone very well for me. Good luck with your surgery.

Helpful Tips

tkr
after I had my tkr, I learned to go down stairs backwards hanging on a banister or my husbands arm. This was 13 years ago. it really took ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center