Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    kne revision
    An_254577 posted:
    had a partial knee replacement last yr
    and this yr i had to have the full knee replacement
    i,m having terrible pains in my calf muscle they
    thought it was a blood clot and it was,nt
    and this surgery made my left leg shorter then my right leg
    has this happened to anone elsr?
    please let me know if it did
    _swank_ responded:
    Calf pain is common after knee surgery. I have had calf pain after every knee surgery I've had. Lots of the fluid from your knee swelling goes into your calf and foot due to gravity. All that can cause pain and swelling in other parts of your leg.

    Having a knee replaced can also cause your leg to be shorter. Most of the time this is unavoidable. Putting an insert in your shoe can easily fix that problem. Your physical therapist can help with that.

    Helpful Tips

    What is hip pain, and what else could it be?Expert
    Frequently hip pain is mistaken for another diagnosis and vice versa. In my practice, I have seen people have hip replacements from various ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    28 of 38 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center