Skip to content
Sex after knee replacement
rosarita1406 posted:
Hi, everyone - I'm a 54yr old female 4 weeks out from a TRK, right knee. When is it possible to have sex again? My husband of 30+ years and I have made a couple of attempts and it's just so painful to bend my knee; also I think hydrocodone lowers my sex drive or at least distracts me. I had surgery to repair two torn ligaments in my left ankle in August and walking/standing is painful on both legs, and I've been on painkillers for months; I'm embarrassed to ask my physical therapist about something intimate. Any advice?

mfishlaw responded:
rosarita1406...I have been monitoring this community sight for a while, listening to others w/ similar issues. Yours is a first from where I sit. Interesting enough, I have had a bi-lat about a year ago, all has gone as expected. Back to ALL activities.
My wife who has had a TRK and Hip replacement opposite sides, we make an interesting experiment in geriatric joint replacement. With that being said, we are into our 60's and still enjoy being intimate. Needles to say, we went through these surgeries and different times, so our time tables, really went out of wack. As we now are both back to normal activies, our sex lives have been improving, our maybe, we are just feeling better physically, which is leading to a more active sexual relationship. I think time is going to be a major factor, if the desire is still there, the pain will disapate and the enjoyment will increase. Not sure how to address the meds issue as both my wife and myself, tried to get off the hyrocodone as quickly as possible. It did take a while for us to reach our peak, and I'm not talking sexually, I'm referring to finding postions where we, becase of the repaired joints, could be comfortable and still intimate.
Patience and creativity would be my recommendation to you and your spouse. Have fun with it, as it might bring a different type of enjoyment to your relationship.

rosarita1406 replied to mfishlaw's response:
Wow, I'm the only person to post this? I think time is the answer, I just want things to be normal as soon as possible. I also think I wasn't fully prepared for the aftermath of surgery - I didn't want to have it so soon after the ankle surgery, but you know how it is, have to work while the insurance out of pocket is met. Things will improve. Thanks for your response.

jamin2013 responded:
4 weeks out from TKR is a short short time....plus the ankle surgery before.....time is the only healer now....find other ways I guess.

I'm glad I'm single, my THR was 3 yrs ago and I'm a mess, wouldn't wish me on anyone.....jam

rivergirldeb responded:
lay on your side in your case the left side. Raise the right leg up and have your husband enter you from behind with his leg used as support for the right knee. This worked great for me! I'm 64. The use of lube also helps with vaginal dryness caused
by pain meds.

Helpful Tips

Knee op comfort
I have. 2. Tkr. And. I wade in The. Pool More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center