Skip to content
Negative MRI - pain/swelling getting worse - injections don't help
angelwings200688 posted:
HI all. My son is 23 and suffered an injury to his meniscus 5 years ago. He was treating with an Ortho and PT, received injections and a hinged brace and nothing seemed to work. As time has gone by, the pain in his knee is almost unbearable and gives out. He went to a new Ortho doc today, took his MRI CD (was just taken last month), along with copies of every treatment he's received for his knee and the physician told him there's nothing that can be done because the MRI came back negative. When the physician was questioned regarding the swelling, the giving out, the "squishy" feeling surrounding the knee, he had no answer. My son was told to just continue to wear his brace and eventually, his knee will get better.

Since my son works for a pain management group of physicians, would it be better for him to just continue to receive injections and "deal" with the unknown, or take more time off work, spend more money on his co-pay only to be told the same thing? It's frustrating to know that anyone could be in pain, an MRI doesn't show what's going on inside that specific area, but externally, even a lay-person could see the physical evidence of something not being right with his knee.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated and thank you for taking the time to read the long-winded explanation.

Helpful Tips

Uploading knee brace for OA Knee
Can anybody help me by giving his experience/opinion about the utility of offloader Knee Braces for Bilateral Medial Compartment ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center