Skip to content
One year after knee replacement
irish38 posted:
After reading the discussions posted I do feel bad for those who have had problems but if you are reading this trying to decide to have the surgery I can attest to the fact that all total knee replacements are not unsuccessful. My left knee was replaced on 12/12/12 and from the second I woke up the arthritic pain that was forever present in that knee was gone and has not returned and not even for a second has it returned! Both knees actually need replaced from osteo-arthritis but I chose the left with my doctor's suggestion which allowed me to drive sooner so I could return faster to work. I actually walked down the hallway the following week carrying my walker as my wife filmed me. At age 63 the other knee is actually worse but the success of this 1st knee has made it easier to work out and both legs have strengthened relieving the pain for now in the right knee. Other than rehab where I took ibuprofen several times before to help flex that joint, I have not taken 1 single pain reliever for knee pain on either side. The success of the first has bought me time on the second. A couple of things I did prior to surgery that I believed helped are 1. I got in the best physical shape possible and at age 62 I'm still a young man so I worked my butt off in the gym prior to surgery. 2 I picked a world trained surgeon to do the replacement. 3. We chose a custom knee based on a CT scan that helped fit the implant to my anatomy. The cutting blocks were made just for my knee! After surgery I did all of the rehab and got back into the gym as soon as I was allowed to. One year later I remain pain free in both knees and I' m getting ready to do a HIIT workout routine. Good luck to you but prepare before the surgery for the best possible outcome.

Helpful Tips

Knee op comfort
I have. 2. Tkr. And. I wade in The. Pool More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center