Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Double knee replacement
kbrads posted:
Both of my knees need to be replaced (bone on bone in both). I am struggling to decide whether to do one at a time or both together. I get very mixed opinions on this issue. Would appreciate it if anyone who has done a double or has experience with someone who has would weigh in on this. Thanks.

janetph responded:
Hi, I've had both replaced and would advise you to do them separately. Having both done at the same time puts a lot of strain on your upper body and you'll be totally incapacitated. I was able to have the second one done one month from the first. Some Doctors will advise you to wait longer. Good luck!

mfishlaw responded:
I had a bi-lat in Oct of '12. At first it was difficult, but, if I had to do it over again, would still do it that way. Most who do one are some times reluctant to do the other.
Probably will get a better result, rehabing them together as well. The harder you work at rehab, the better the result.
Best of luck.

jamin2013 responded:
Every time I hear that bone on bone mantra, I hear a Prolo MD I hear on the radio on weekends talk about "as long as one can bend their knees, there is cartlidge there"....he does Prolotherapy for those who do NOT want to go thru this and were told, bone on bone....

jointrehab.com is his site and one can learn how this could save one from this major surgical work, elective surgery.

I had Prolo in my shoulder over 4 yrs ago and got a good 3 yr relief period...

I'm now doing the gelatin by Great Lakes and believe it's working to fill in collagen that is gone....

I have a knee issue since 57 and I'm 75 and did do a hip replacement which really messed it all more...these surgeries are NOT a walk in the park as MD's make them out to be.

peadnut2u replied to jamin2013's response:
Well, I am post op 12 days today from a BLTKR.
I'm walking on a cane and my nurse and therapist said I was doing great!. Certainly different kind of pain though/ Hope yall are doing okay. Linda

atti_editor replied to peadnut2u's response:
Glad to hear that you are doing so well!

Best wishes,
Atti

ocknees responded:
Hello, kbrads -

I think it depends on the support you have once you come home. If you have loved ones/close friends willing to care for you around the clock, then getting both knees done at once is definitely worth it. You get the whole process over with in one surgery and only have to rehab once.

I was scheduled for both knees, but had complications during surgery, so the surgeon stopped after one knee. A year later my first knee was well enough to do the second. Now, I've had both knees replaced (TKR). I had my second knee replaced in November, 2013.

I live alone so in retrospect, I feel lucky that I had them done one at a time. I couldn't imagine coming home alone with two new knees and no one to help me, drive me around, etc.

I've read quite a few posts from people on this site who've had bilateral TKR and they have no regrets. And I have had no regrets about doing them one at a time.

Again, it depends on the support you have at home if you do both at once.

I wish you all the very best. Good luck.

Helpful Tips

Uploading knee brace for OA Knee
Can anybody help me by giving his experience/opinion about the utility of offloader Knee Braces for Bilateral Medial Compartment ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center