Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Walking after knee effusion (rehabilitation too soon?)
An_256452 posted:
Had Knee effusion from softball practice. I stepped in mud wrong and felt knee twist, it got swollen that night. I iced it many times daily and rested a week and a half. Still have some soreness, even on my other knee. I don't know if it's from over using it because of the swollen one or just from not walking for so long. So, should I start walking to rehabilitate? Or continue to stay off for another week or so? Basically, is it bad to try to start to use my knees so soon? It does hurt a little when I bend them, even to put on shorts. Please help.

atti_editor responded:
Hello,

Here is some information on home treatment for knee injuries that you might find helpful -- it includes some stretches and suggests massaging the area in addition to the ice and rest that you have already done. You should avoid high impact activities such as running while your knee is still sore, but some light stretching and walking short distances may help to maintain flexibility in your knee.

If you are still experiencing swelling, or if your pain persists, it may be a good idea to make an appointment with your doctor to make sure that you don't have a ligament injury or other problem that would need the attention of a medical professional.

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

duct leakage test
This could be everybody's great solution for carrying ladders inside house and risking own life from falling, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center