Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Total Knee Replacement Failure
An_256522 posted:
I am 63 years old and had a TNR 10 months ago. My pain is greater now than before the surgery. The following is the sequence of events occurring after the TNR: Post surgically, I went to a rehabilitative center for 7 days, attended physical therapy for several months, saw the surgeon or their Physicians Assistant for follow-up evaluations with x-rays, and conscientiously followed all treatment instructions to the letter. When I told the doctor that I was in severe pain with the patella sliding off to the side, and that I had difficulty in performing normal range of motion activities, he told me that what I was experiencing was normal. The last straw occurred after the surgeon's office called me to cancel my appointment. It was OK with me as I know that emergencies happen. But 1 month later when I called to request a prescription for Motrin (you can obtain it over the counter in low dosage), I was denied. It's not like I was asking for narcotics. I had only been prescribed pain relief to cover me through the acute period of recovery lasing about 2-3 weeks. It was stated that the office policy is that medications are not ordered unless you have recently been seen by the doctor. Remember, the surgeon's office had cancelled my last appointment. It was then that I decided to see another orthopedic surgeon for an evaluation. After his exam and reviewing a recent Cat Scan, he told me that my knee was totally out of alignment, that the patella was most likely fractured, and that he could understand why my pain was so intense and recommended revisionary surgery. I saw another surgeon to obtain a 2nd opinion and he confirmed the need for revisionary surgery. I will have my revision completed in one more day (4/21/2014). Hopefully, after 10 months of torture, I'll have just one more day of experiencing excruciating pain. Of course that that relief comes with some additional costs... I must start the entire surgical, rehab, and physical therapy processes from the beginning again. My revision surgery will take at least twice as long to complete as compared to the 1st TNR surgery. Because I was misled by the original surgeon, I have lost 10 months of being able to enjoy life, endured pain, been depressed, dumped many of my burdens onto the shoulders of my husband, will probably have lasting damage to my knee and adjacent leg structures, and have paid additional medical expenses in seeking resolution. It is also a crime to know that the first surgery (not counting rehab and physical therapy) cost in excess of $50,000. To top things off, I needed to look up the 1st surgeon on the web to obtain his exact address. To my surprise I saw his mug shot on-line for having been arrested 4 months ago on vice related charges. A further review showed that he had been sanctioned by the medical board 2 years ago for falsifying records in order to defend a medical malpractice claim.
I tell my story not to gain pity, but in an attempt to alert others of potential warning signs that they may be receiving poor medical care after a TNR. In order to have a positive surgical outcome, I respectfully offer the following common sense suggestions:
  • Check out the surgeon's background along with patient reviews closely,
  • Trust your instincts over the medical professionals when your body is trying to tell you that something is wrong,
  • Do not hesitate to seek a 2nd and 3rd opinion.
I will follow-up in the future with Monday's surgical outcome along with my future knee prognosis.

atti_editor responded:
Hello,

I am sorry that you had to go through this, but thank you for posting your experience and advice here for everyone who may be going through the same thing or who are about to embark their on TNR surgery journey -- your suggestions bring up some very good points for everyone to consider pre-surgery. We will be thinking of you in your surgery Monday and hoping for a speedy and successful recovery!

Best wishes,
Atti

An_256522 replied to atti_editor's response:
atti_ editor: Thank you for your response and kind wishes.
I am into my 4th day of recovery for my revisionary surgery of a knee replacement. I was released from the hospital late yesterday and transferred to a rehabilitation center. All I have to say can almost be summed-up in one word... YIPI! My surgery went well and has already produced positive results. My knee will be totally immobilized for at least 3 months, but is now in alignment and my pain has been reduced to a normal post-surgical level. The surgeon explained to me in non-medical terminology what my knee looked like when he surgically inspected it. He stated, "It was pretty messed up." What a difference in surgical outcomes. Prior to the revisionary surgery, I had cried in pain, wished that I never had the knee replaced, and secretly hoped that my leg could be amputated. Now, I am openly talking about having knee replacement surgery on the other knee. I feel reborn. Since I really did not know what a positive or negative TNR surgical recovery should feel like, it was easy for me to accept the original surgeon's explanations.
I wish that everyone having a TNR will have a competent surgeon such as the one who completed my revisionary surgery. He literally used some of my patella chips, bone dust, and cement to make me a new knee.
My tragic first TNR surgery is now well on the road to having a happy story book ending. May all of you reading my "Cinderella Type Tale" and contemplating TNR surgery, also find a their "Surgical Prince or Princess" and live happily ever after.

julealain replied to An_256522's response:
I came accross a very interesting website with more info on this product: http://www.medicalexpo.com/medical-manufacturer/knee-prosthesis-4095.html

Helpful Tips

TKR surgery and recovery
I had one knee done in March 2007, the other done in February 2009. I am 67 years old. I will tell you that I researched doctors before I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center