Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Recovering from total hip replacement surgery.
chetre_1 posted:
Hello, I am a 50 year-old male who is about to undergo a total hip replacement on May 8th. I would very much like to hear from people any information about the recovery phase of this procedure. How does it "feel" to walk after you have recovered? Is going to the gym, once you are completely recovered and finished physio, possible? Can one sagely train the affected leg on machines or using free weights once fully recovered? I would appreciate any and all advice and observations please. Thank you for your time and consideration.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

atti_editor responded:
Hi chetre_1,

While you wait for others in the community to share their experiences, you might search through older discussions that pertain to your questions. You can use the "Search This Community" box in the top right corner of this page to do so. There are a number of older posts that contain good information about recovery and getting back in to exercise that you might find helpful. Please let us know how you are doing after your surgery!

Best wishes,
Atti

chetre_1 replied to atti_editor's response:
Hello and thanks for being the only one to reply (even taking into account that you are the mod or editor). Yes I have already searched and searched and searched but have not really had the specific "how does it feel" to walk with some alien device inside you question answered to my satisfaction. No worries in one week I will have had the procedure done and will no doubt be writhing in agony and will soon thereafter know how it feels to walk with all that metal and plastic they are about to put inside of me. Thanks for your help and time.

georgia888 replied to chetre_1's response:
Hello chetre,
Consider no responses a good sign as most use these communities to share negative experiences. You will notice that there is more discussion about the knee than the hip. Another good sign.

I cannot speak from personal experience however, I belong to a gym where many members have had hip and/or knee replacement surgeries & I have yet to hear of a negative report about the hip. Do keep in mind that as individuals, we may respond differently to such procedures. Most have said that had they known of the improvement in life style, they would have scheduled the hip replacement sooner.

Best of luck to you with the surgery & your new hip. When you're feeling up to it, please update us on your condition.

georgia

chetre_1 replied to georgia888's response:
Hello and many thanks for the input: nice to hear your take on the lack of response. And thank you as well for info re the gym and the positive info. I thank you for taking the time.

You are very welcome. Again, best of luck with your surgery. Please let us know of your progress. At some point in time, I will need this very surgery as at present, my left hip is bone-on-bone.

Good luck!

Hello all,

Am back home now after a total of 5 days in the hospital for my surgery. At this point I am almost pain free and almost able to walk with a cane or even unaided (which is shocking to me). The one thing that seems problematic is that my left leg is now approx. 1 inch longer than my right, which used to be about 1/2 inch longer. Have read that this is common (sometimes) however it is a concern. Anyone have any input? Thanks very much.

So glad to hear of the great outcome! Again, I can't speak from experience but do understand that a difference in leg length is very common after THR. I'm sure your doctor is well aware of this & may suggest an orthotic for your shoe(s).

I use an orthotic for high insteps & they are very comfortable & beneficial.

Best wishes for continued progress. Please keep us posted.

Hello and thanks for the reply. Yes I have mentioned the orthotic to my physiotherapist and he has told me that it will probably come to that, though he told me to wait until my follow-up with my surgeon.

Am now virtually pain free - no more need for Dilaudid - and am even able to walk unaided. though I only do this for very short distances indoors. Never though would recover so quickly. It is now 2 weeks since my surgery.

This is great news! Best wishes for a continued full recovery.

It's important for us, who will be having this surgery down the road, to hear of positive outcomes.

Please continue to keep us posted.

Hello again. I am wondering re something that seems not 'right' since my surgery. That is to say that I have had a sensitivity or pain behind my knee and now notice that it extends to the outer side of my knee. I did not have this before my surgery. My physiotherapist says it may be a Baker's cyst. However I cannot find anything that includes the lateral pain which, to me i.e. someone who knows nothing about this, seems to be tendons or ligaments. I am worried because as I said I did not have this prior to the surgery. I know I was told when I left the hospital that if I had any swelling or fever etc that I should return to the emergency room. I am currently on blood thinners. Just wondering what I should do. Any input would be appreciated. Many thanks.

I am not a medical professional but I do know that there is a strong connection between the hip & knee & that some who suffer with an arthritic hip (myself included) also experience pain in the same-side knee (even though the knee is free of arthritis). That being said, because you said the pain in your knee began after your surgery I don't know if there is this connection or perhaps something else is going on.

Hopefully others on this site will chime in. As always, be sure to check with your doctor about this.

Please keep us posted.

Thank you for your input.

nancyhill responded:
Hello..I hope it went well.I am 56 and had my second hip replacement a week ago..I'm doing quite well.I had my right replacement 1 1/2 years ago..I was able to use all the machines but u can't break precautions for _6 months.. Good luck

Nancy

jamin2013 replied to nancyhill's response:
I had a anterior hip replacement Oct 2010, I was 72 and did very well 5 months post op and then things for ME went south....YES, length in leg happens ALL the time as I've talked to so many....I now wear a 3/4" lift in right shoe as my right side is way out of whack....

Everyone has their own experience, some great and enough not so great like myself....

I don't have groin pain anymore, but so much other pain issues due to body alignment.....I also deal with lower back OA and Fibro and this alignment business has messed with other joints, like my knee and foot/ankle.....

I work with many bodyworkers and do alternative treatments to keep going. Good luck....

Helpful Tips

postop pain management
Consult with the anethesiologist relative to a pain management clinic who can help. In some cases, Lidoderm patches can be a big help as ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center