Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Swelling/Bruising after Total Knee
sarahbeth_6728 posted:
My mom had a total knee replacement 1 week ago and is doing as well as expected. She is having a lot of bruising that began about 1-2 days after surgery that is half way up her thigh and down to her ankle. She just in the last 2 days has had a lot of swelling up and down the entire leg. She says it feels like her skin is going to split. Is this all normal?? I just wasn't sure what was the norm and how much is too mcuh swelling/brusiing.....I've been keeping an eye out for a fever.....any other advise??? thanks!!!!

mommie12356 responded:
This is all normal.Just deal with it.Your doing good by watching for a fever.

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi there, Please realize that this board no longer has a health professional to answer community member's questions. Please see moderator Olivia's post at the top of this board for more information. To read about knee replacement surgery please use the WebMD search engine and you will be able to read articles about this before your mother's follow up visit with her doctor. If your mom is having any complications please contact her orthopedic surgeon for help. You may also want to post your questions on our Arthritis and Joint Pain Support Group board. - Annie

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center