Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Crepitus caused by scar tissue after TKR
An_250195 posted:
I had both knees replaced one year apart (TKR). I'm 7 months post op on my second knee. About two months ago, I started to develop popping and grinding when I bend the knee. It's become increasingly worse. Now you can hear it pop from across the room and the crunching and grinding is extremely painful. I can't cross my legs unless I use my hands to lift that leg.

Oddly, I walk just fine and can bend the troubled knee 130 degrees.

I saw my orthopedic surgeon and my doctor tells me it's a build up of scar tissue. I'm scheduled for arthroscopic surgery to try and remove as much scar tissue as possible.

Has anyone else been through this? Was the minimally invasive procedure beneficial? Did they get all of the scar tissue removed or do you still have grinding, crunching and popping (which is extremely painful)?

My surgeon says to wait 6 months after this next surgery and if it's not better, then I'll have to have a full operation on the whole knee again.

I welcome all replies, including the medical experts. Thanks.

jamin2013 responded:
Good Grief, all they want to do is keep doing surgeries....I would SEE someone else PT or whomever vs more surgery...see a special massage worker or body worker and get 2nd opinions....don't rush to more surgery.

I have scar tissue on the hip replacement mess, and surgeon says it's a protection for the joint parts.....

Don't CROSS legs, worse thing we can do.....

An_250195 replied to jamin2013's response:
Thanks for your reply.

I failed to mention I did get a second opinion before going back to my own surgeon.

The second orthopedic surgeon said surgery was necessary as well.

Physical therapy won't help as I can already bend the knee 130 degrees without any problem. The pain comes when the knee is bent and I try to straighten it out. It crunches, pops and grinds so badly, you can hear it from across the room. And the pain is excruciating.

Both said the device looks great on x-rays. Everything is aligned.

I'd still be so grateful to know if anyone else has had luck with arthroscopic surgery? Did it help or do you still have the painful symptoms described?

jamin2013 replied to An_250195's response:
If you have a new knee parts, why all the crunches, pops, grinds...and pain.

I have all those noises with my messy knee but doing all to NOT get knee surgery.....I do alternative treatments and taking collagen daily....every time "they" do something when they cut us, more collagen is lost, if any is left.....

Surgeons profession is cutting.....good luck....

I have a bridge friend who had arthroscopic on her knee and she limps like mad.

Helpful Tips

Uploading knee brace for OA Knee
Can anybody help me by giving his experience/opinion about the utility of offloader Knee Braces for Bilateral Medial Compartment ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center