Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hip Dislocation 3 Weeks Post-Surgery
philgliori posted:
Hi,

I was progressing ahead of schedule almost three weeks after my hip replacement surgery. I was probably feeling too good (I'm 55 years old and in good shape). Last Monday (6/2/2014) I dislocated my hip. The pain was intense, but that subsided after my hip was reset. Emotionally, I am doing better, but I'm really afraid of another occurrence. It's been one week from the day and I'm not feeling anything other than some muscle soreness. I would love to hear from anyone else that has been through this and that can offer some advice. I understand that the next couple of weeks are critical for my recovery. Golf, cycling, working out on the elliptical are my goals, but what is a realistic timetable. Thanks for your support and advise.

atti_editor responded:
Hi philgliori,

I am sorry that you have encountered this setback, but am glad that you are pushing forward so well. Here is a recovery timeline for hip surgery . It says that between 3-6 weeks you should be able to do most normal light activities and that by 6 weeks you should be okay to drive. By 10-14 weeks most of your pain should be gone and swelling eased, and you should be able to resume all of your regular day-to-day activities. Did your doctor say how long your dislocation may have set you back? It sounds like you have made great progress. Please let us know how you are doing.

Best wishes,
Atti

philgliori replied to atti_editor's response:
Thank you for your reply. I was told that I was set back about two weeks. I went from riding the stationary bike for 10 minutes back to week one exercises. It was pretty discouraging. I'm feeling stronger and don't feel like I need my cane to walk, but I'm using it as a reminder to watch my hip protocol. I have an appointment with my surgeon next week and hope for good news. The worry of another dislocation is scary. I don't go anywhere in or out of the house without my cell phone with me.

Thank you again,
Phil

atti_editor replied to philgliori's response:
I'm glad that you are feeling stronger and that you are taking it easy

Helpful Tips

postop pain management
Consult with the anethesiologist relative to a pain management clinic who can help. In some cases, Lidoderm patches can be a big help as ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center