Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Worker's Comp insurance impairs my care
17surgerieslostyears posted:
I need a Knee Surgeon who believes in allergies to cement or polymers After a 2008 knee injury Worker's comp finally approved in 2013 a TKR after 2 failed arthroscopic procedure & 2 rounds of Synvisc injection. A 1st knee replacement at HSS was done by the only doc with privileges there, who accepted Comp. His casual attitude to my bone history should have warned me..had no office at HSS,2 rooms across tow with no privacy, no desire to view my x-rays o records. After surgery, a stay at Helen Hayes showed motion developed a rash & swelling that extended up & down my leg. The nurses called the Helen Hayes Doc the first night. He called my surgeon who gave us both his MANTRA "take more pain meds and walk on)" Problem was I couldn't walk. The Dir, of Trauma surgery @ HSS (known from a prior hip fracture repair) saw me in April, was appalled at my condition & sent me to his best knee surgeon HSS (didn't take Comp but unhappily agreed to repair the problem.He found the tibia was badly over-sized, causing the lower leg numbness but looked no further& revised the tibia only.The pathology report from the revision describes deep tissue & cell reaction to the cement & polymers which he told me & my fiancé, took him hours to remove, along with a liter of fluid laced with metal shards, in replacing the tibia (5 hr. surgery). I had 3 days of glorious smooth motion then the painful disengagement, crepitus,rash began after mild motion. He is now unco-operative...didn't send reports to Comp, says my problems are normal & will be fine after a year, HIS scar is fine, straight, nicely healed after the year but the femoral scar- after 17 months- is still painfully red, swollen, hot, breaks out in a rash if I use my walker and bleeds if I scratch the pustules when I sleep. He refuses to respond to my calls or emails for a referral to an allergist. After my last visit to him he ordered an MRI which he then said had minor problems (I can't walk and my primary shudders when he feels me bend my knee) but I can't get an appt. with an allergist until they know what allergen for which to test. He reported to my doctor that he was not doing surgery but failed to mention the Allergist referral. He has abandoned my care but my plight is identical to those I see on internet sites... and I cannot spend the rest of my life in bed. I am a young 57 and desperately want to get better. He sees nothing wrong with the bone structure so says I am fine. HELP. Does anyone know a doctor who sees people with allergies to cement (my titanium thumb is fine) and handles revisions for surgically injured knees ?

Helpful Tips

TKR surgery and recovery
I had one knee done in March 2007, the other done in February 2009. I am 67 years old. I will tell you that I researched doctors before I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center