Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
CREPITUS AND CEMENT ALLERGY
17surgerieslostyears posted:
I had a Feb 2013 right TKR and a June revision of the tibia because it was mis-sized. Through it all I have had the most incredibly painful, audible CREPITUS, that my Primary care physician shudders when he feels it. Physical therapists have discharged me, because they say they cannot help someone with that degee of crepitus. Nurses, ER Doctors, other TKR replacement patients are appalled at the degree of CREPITUS I have. After 17 months I am unable to use my knee for anything, must use my left leg to support my right leg when getting into bed, the passenger car seat, and cannot use my right leg to lift my body up a single step. I am a small woman, at 5' was a size 2 petite presurgery but gained 51 lbs over the last 17 months. I do not see any of the people on these blogs discuss CREPITUS which my surgeon insists is normal. I have not met one other person who has crepitus ..and my situation is complicated by recently realizing from the June Pathology report that I had a deep tissue reaction to cement and polymers from the Feb. surgery ...much of which remains in my original femoral component which was not removed. THAT scar is hugely swollen, red, and breaks out in a bleeding rash when I use my walker for a few hours. I remain in bed for days after any walker assisted activity. I believe the irritation is from the tissue allergy in my body for 17 months and is causing the crepitus. It started as soon as I was at the rehab facility and started to do active therapy, and the cement had a chance to degrade. My surgeon does not want to co-operate because I am a worker's comp patient. He was asked to do the revision by the Director of Trauma Surgery after that doctor (who had previously saved my ability to walk by revising a poorly sized left hip ORIF). In Dec. 2013, he could not believe I had been left by his referral in a continued disabled condition & asked the knee revision doctor to care for the problem or find someone who would. My left hip is being further damaged by constant overuse. Does anyone have similar problems with CREPITUS and allergy to implant components?

Helpful Tips

TKR surgery and recovery
I had one knee done in March 2007, the other done in February 2009. I am 67 years old. I will tell you that I researched doctors before I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center