Skip to content
Knee pain after a fall
Kylevess posted:
How is everyone doing. About 6 months ago I fell off a skateboard landing on my knee cap. I am 41 years old, by the way. After the fall I had some pain in my knee, no swelling, but it was painful to the touch. It would hurt for my pants or bed sheets to touch it. While running it would feel like there was water on top of the knee cap. I was still able to run without pain, and it didn't bother me walking or bending. My trouble is it is still very painful if I kneel down on that knee. I can't put any weight on it at all while kneeling on the ground. Just today I put that knee down on the ground, and the pain was terrible like it was on fire! Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

mommie12356 responded:
Only a doctor can tell you for sure whats going on.

Kylevess responded:
Thanks for the reply. I understand that, but I wanted to see if anyone had an injury like this before. I thought it may be bursitis?

Gremma responded:
Are you kidding? See a Sports Medicine doc right away before you do more damage! Geez, I'd give anything if I could still run, I tore mine up skiing and am scheduled for surgery #7. My injury was more serious though, I have 3 screws in there and as I age the screws lose their tracking and have to be adjusted. Keep what you have, or better . . . see a doc! Don't know where you are in the world but if you're in CA there is a great knee guy, he does the U.S. Olympic Ski team and many rodeo guys. Don't wait and do things that will make fixing it harder.

Gremma responded:
Sorry Kylevess, forgot to mention, about fabric touching your knee, this is an indication that your nerve is working overtime. I had that, it's called RSD, Reflex Sympathic Dystrophy. It hurt to have my pants on my knee, and when I got a pain in my knee it hurt from my knee outward, down my leg and up to my hip, weird huh? I got it from having nerves cut through during surgery. It's just a fancy way of saying your nerve is clicked into the "on" position. It's an easy fix, you just have to "reset" the nerve, kind of like restarting your computer. I had a nerve block injection in my lower back that shut down the nerve for a few days, then it went back to normal. It took 4 times trying to hit the right set of nerves though. Coincidentally, my insurance only covered 4 injections, and miraculously, the 4th one worked! I suppose if my insurance covered 6, it would have worked on the 6th one. I wished they'd billed for 4 and killed the pain the 1st time, but that's not how it works. See your doc about RSD, if you're lucky, that's all it is!

wendyclnj responded:
I know this post is a little old but I read it and thought I wrote it about myself. I have all the same problems you have. Did you ever go to a doctor? What did they say? I fel while speed walking to work and feel on both my knees. The one that hurts is the one a put most the weight on when I feel . Thanks!!!!

lizrdh1982 responded:
just tripped over a blanket and landed on my knee. I have no swelling but extreme pain upon touching it. This is only been for a few days now. wondering if it will mend it self.

frankelly responded:
Hello,
I was wondering if you ever got any resolution to your injury from a Doctor? I just did the same thing yesterday and last night I couldn't even have a sheet on my knee. I can bend my knee and everything without pain but to the touch it is excruciating.

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center