Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
bone growth after knee replacement
josephculb posted:
had total knee replacement 12/16 07.at first things were going great. then pain started.over the months it got worse.more pain then before surgery.when i saw dr. on 3 12 09 he pointed finger at and said no more narcotics,not from me, maybe another dr. I suggested Xray he read xray and then asked me what kind of pain meds i wanted. total 360 change.Showed me abnormal bone growth around metal knee.anyone had or know of this problem. dont they do radiation or something during or after surgery to prevent this. please help

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi there,

Don't hesitate to let your doctor know that you aren't happy with the progress of your healing and feel free to get a second opinion if you feel that you need one.

- Annie

cup4u responded:
Dear josephclub;

I just saw a Neurologist in 2/09. I was complaining about a painful bulge( the size of a walnut or larger) next to my new knee replacement of 4/08. I told him that the x-rays showed everything was fine. He mentioned something about a problem with the "bone" not evidently showing up in x-rays. I have to wear a elastic brace morning to night. I walk slowly & in allot of pain. I need to know more of this problem.

raredawg responded:
have had a total hip replacement twice and now i have alot of bone growth around the wire they put in .. it really hurts alot my dr said he is really concerned about this but has not done nothing to help me yet ...

_swank_ replied to raredawg's response:
You might want to start a brand new post instead of adding to this one. It is three years old and may get overlooked.

Helpful Tips

TKR surgery and recovery
I had one knee done in March 2007, the other done in February 2009. I am 67 years old. I will tell you that I researched doctors before I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center