Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Knee swelling after car accident.
ninor posted:
Hello guys! My mom is 53 and she got in a car accident rear ending another lady going about 30 miles an hour and her points of impact were her head (she got 7 staples), her chest (no seat belt), and her left knee. Her staples got removed, chest pain is gone, most of the bruise on her leg is gone, but her knee is now swelled up and she got a red spot on it. Accident happened 22 days ago (on April 20th). We went to MedWell physical therapy place today to find out that they do not handle cases like hers and they referred us to Crucial Care which is an emergency doctor's clinic and I do not think that they could help us much either. As I do not want to be referred from one doctor's office to another, I am asking you guys if you could maybe give us some tips where to go and what type of doctor to see... OR if this could be treated at home. Is an MRI highly recommended in this case? Our car insurance is paying for 80% and she does not have health insurance and she does not have a primary care physician. Please see the pictures of her knee below and let us know what could this be and how serious it could be. Thank you so much! tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2dimvpc&s=5 tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ntlkk4&s=5

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi there, Please realize that it's not possible for anyone to be diagnosed over the internet. Your mother is very fortunate that she wasn't more seriously injured since she was not wearing a seat belt. An orthopedic surgeon would probably be the place to start with if your mother has a knee injury. Read more about a knee injury by using the WebMD search engine. - Annie

annette030 responded:
She was referred to an ER doctor's clinic by a PT clinic, sounds right to me. She also would have gotten a referral by the hospital who put in the staples in her head. I am a bit confused that you would be looking for a referral on line, when she has been seen in person by doctors and given a referral already. Take care, Annette

Helpful Tips

TKR surgery and recovery
I had one knee done in March 2007, the other done in February 2009. I am 67 years old. I will tell you that I researched doctors before I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center