Skip to content
Pain 3 weeks after knee replacement
pgm52 posted:
I had knee replacement 3 weeks ago and I am still on oxycontin every 12 hrs and taking Percocet in between for break thru pain. Is this the same as others are experiencing? I guess i thought my pain would be much better by now and I would be off the narcotics. I am having good rom and am getting along really well other than the pain. I do still have a lot of swelling above the knee and my ankle swells some off and on. The pain is MUCH worse at night also. Please let me know if your experience has been remotely the same.

maryarn responded:
Hello, I just had a total right knee replacement done on Feb 23,2011. The past 4 weeks I been on Percoset initially at 6 hour intervals and presently still on Percoset at 8 hour intervals,taking tramadol , 50 mgs midway between the Percosets. My pain level is about a 7 or 8 on a scale of ten.at night lying in bed. Daytime pain level is a 4 out of 10 in the day. I just concluded in home P T. Next wednesday I begin outpatient P T sessions. My doctor wants me to lenghten the interval btw Percosets. Hence, he prescribed the non narcotic tramadol to wean me off the narcotic Percoset He initially wanted me at 12 hour intervals on the Percoset which I was totally unable to tolerate but am able to just now tolerate pain on my present pain regimen.

mimibee301 replied to Geradine4733's response:
Geradine4733- I was wondering how long it took you to recover from your knee replacement. I had a total knee replacement in Nov 2010 and now it is almost April 2011 and I am still using the cane, have tarsal tunnel in my ankle (like carpal tunnel in hands but in ankle) low back and hip pain and thigh pain. I go to pt 3 times a week. I had a manipulation Feb. 1st then I had it drained, no infection or abnormalities. Still have pain, still using pain meds. I was wondering what you went through. Some days I get so discouraged and when I do the exercises on my own the back of my knee hurts really bad. I can drive but not far distances, it was my right knee. I also had two other surgeries one in 2008 and one in Aug 2010 before the knee replacement had to be done. I do suffer with RA, Lupus, fibromylasia and diabetes. I am 44 years young so I thought I should be better by now. What is your take? I am curious on what you did and went through.If my other knee goes I will crawl but I do have to say the pain I am having now is more recovery pain, not the pain I was experiencing 24/7 non stop. Any input from anyone would be great.
SWANK - Hang in there! You are still brand new with your surgery. If you need your pain meds, take them if you have pain afterall the doctor is not the one walking around or trying to walk around with the pain. Good luck to you.

Onesinger responded:
I am also 3 weeks out from knee replacement and I am still on pain meds. I can't get thru the night with taking an oxycodone sometime in the early morning hours. I still have a lot of swelling. I am struggling trying to get thru the PT exercises due to pain. Like you I thought by now I would be off pain medication. I have felt so bad, that I have lost 17 lbs since the surgery. Pain is much worse at night.

adastra111 replied to Onesinger's response:
I am 4 weeks post op - in terrible pain (Bil TKR). Walking is getting easier, but the constant pain is getting me down. I was taking oxycontin twice daily and oxynorm for breakthrough pain. However, I became very depressed on the morphine so decided to stop taking them. Have suffered dreadful withdrawal symptoms for three days. Swore I would never touch the stuff again, but tonight in so much pain, just had to take one. Tramadol does not work for me (I take fluoxitine which blocks the effects of Tramadol) . Can't take anti-inflammatories because I am allergic. I had no idea the post op experience would be so bad. I too have lost lots of weight (not a bad thing for me). At this stage, I would never recommend anyone having any sort of knee replacement. Here in New Zealand, no opportunity for daily rehab, so doing the best I can on my own.

jhoc1 responded:
am 7 wks out and have the same problem.

adastra111 replied to adastra111's response:
Well, an update - here I am, 5 weeks post op and a new person! Pain has subsided. Only need panadol most of the time now. Drove my car against medical advice and crashed it!!! (Only a minor ding). ROM getting better, I think, but still not near normal. Still, now that I have seen SOME improvement (finally), I am optimistic that things will come right in time. Good luck everyone!

adastra111 replied to jhoc1's response:
It will get better!

chris07732 replied to adastra111's response:
I also had a Bi-TKR, just before Christmas. I'm 13 weeks post op. Lost 35 lbs post op before weight stabilized. To look at me while I'm walking, one couldn't tell I had the TKR, even though I feel every step as I walk. I struggle to climb steps, still can't rise out of a chair without pushing myself with my hands on the seat. I just recently was able to kneel on soft surfaces, but really couldn't get back up without grabbing onto something to haul myself up. Dr. says that I have to give the muscles around the knees time to heal, he's talking 6-12 months. According to Dr., I will have to deal with the patella "clicking" with every step forever!! I set up home gym for strength training, doing stationary bike 2-3 miles and walking 1 mile on tread mill every other day. Walked in local St Paddy's day parade last weekend, needed the beers afterward!!

Looking back, I wish the Dr was straight with me on the length of time of the post op impacts. He was correct, I was walking within days. That I'd be dealing with clicking patella forever, no mention. That I'd be a year down the road before I'd be back to normal activities, no clear explanation. That I'd have to hang on the banisters to get up steps after 4 months, no word. I still needed to do the operations, but there would be less anxiety.
I go for my last monthly checkup in August, I'll report back on continuing impacts.

beechgirl03 responded:
I broke my r leg by simply climbing a stair,when it mended it was 11/2 inches shorter than the other with a hump in it.Changed doctors.He recommended we replace the left knee first which we did.When it came to dealing with the one with the fracture he just stared at me and said I should see his trauma surgeon who would have to brake it again.Saw the trauma guy who looked at me and said why are you here I don't do knee replacements.Now onto my third doctor who was highly recommended by my physical therapist at the nursing home.At first he seemed annoyed at me said something about doctor shopping. You see I worked in a hospital for 20 years non medical but can talk the talk and that bothered him I think. After looking at my x rays he seemed excited by the prospect of it being not just a straight forward replacement.He had to put a rod down the front of the leg to reconstruct it.It looks beautiful,both legs are the same length now.However it's been 3 years for the first one and 21/2 for the second.I still use a walker have gained a lot of weight am still on medication.I am 55 am on disability as I was unable to return to work.I have had him run every test,nuclear scans looking for infections gone to a neurologist,checked for deep vein thrombosis.He says everything is working properly.Some story huh. I am truly at my wits end.My eighty year old aunts are doing better.I am out of ideas.I get my medication which doesn't help do a bit of driving and try to get on with it.WHEN...I WISH A DOCTOR WHO HAS HAD THE SURGERY WOULD WRITE AN ARTICLE FOR HIS PEERS SO THEY WOULD KNOW THE TRUTH.I WOULD HAVE NEVER HAD THE SURGERY HAD I KNOWN.

Grams62 responded:
I had a knew replace 6 years ago and had pain off and on for nearly a year , but eventually went away. I also had a hip replacement and found the most painful of he two was the knee. The hip was easy and the worst pain was from the incision. Don't give up keep doing therapy

ramcas responded:
I had a Rt Total Knee Replacement on July 16th and am still in pain but not near the pain I was in prior to surgery. I try to just take pain med at night and usually only a half a pill.I'm now using a cane but am a little concerned because the area is still a little red, not much but yet it is and is warm to the touch. I've had 2 post op follow ups and dr feels it's ok so must be. I had pt for 3 weeks from the time I got home from the hospital but only 2 to an outside facility. While I know it's important to have PT and I want it, I just can't see having pt done in a facility, doing everything I was already doing at home and still am. So going to check out a new PT place tomorrow. I want to dow what I'm suppose to do and want to get back to some normacy as soon as possible. Good luck to everyone who's had TKP!!!!!

86tkr replied to ramcas's response:
I had a revision of total knee about 3 1/2 weeks ago too, week of august 6th. It is rough and I too struggle with taking pain meds. The last 2 days, I have only had taken oxycontin 10 mg at night. Narco 2 tabs in the AM or as needed. Just took tramadol 1 tab this evening in place of Narco to see if it takes away some of the pain.

I also had redness on post op day 10 which was very concerning to me -- they put be on keflex to rule out cellulitis but my md thought it had more to do with the coumadin (which I stopped and take an aspirin 2x day). I did not have fever.

Still my knee is red at times, bruised up and swollen. I elevate and ice throughout day. It is not as bad as it was -- I also had 2 post op visits with md to have it checked and my md is comfortable with me doing aggressive PT.

With regard to PT -- while I had PT in hospital (4days) and at subacute facility(7days), it was rather gentle. I went directly to outside PT offices once I left the facilities. I have gone to 3 different ones and have to decide which one will serve me best as my insurance will not pay for all of them.
Each offers different styles. I have a difficult knee so looking for the best. I wish all the best - this surgery is more difficult than I expected and I am relatively young for a revision. I do not look forward to any more surgery.

FederalOfficer replied to TCSMEMBER's response:
If you fell in the process of your rehab they have to fix it. Workers Comp will try to get out of paying if they can. You hhave to insist. They have to pay for it.

ghelba2 responded:
I just had my Knee Replacement done 3 weeks ago as well and I'm in a tremendous amount of pain so I'm happy that I'm not the only one. I'm 41 yrs old and I'm taking Oxy and Morphine and I still can't get on top of the pain. It doesn't matter if it's the day or night I'm just in constant pain. I really hope this starts to subside soon because i'm really having a tough time with it

ghelba2 replied to mpyatt's response:
I had mine of 12/3 as well and I can't get ahead of the pain no matter what I do, the meds, ice any suggestions at all

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center