Skip to content
Enchondroma and knee pain?
khb00 posted:
Hi, I am 27 years old and have been having knee pain for the last few years. The pain happens both when I am active and at rest, it is also accompanied by a constant feeling of discomfort and feels like there is something inside my knee restricting it's movement (even though i can still move the knee). I finally went in to the doctor about it and after restricting my physical activity for a while he had me get an MRI. Well the results came back and show everything in my knee's looking good but I have Enchondroma tumors in both my left and right tibia right by the knee joint. He says that the one in my left tibia is 2.6x3.3x2.8 (cm) while the one in the right is 2.0x1.0x1.9 (cm). The doctor says that the MRI shows that the tumors are not cancerous and that the MRI is a very reliable source for figuring that out. The doctor also can not say if these tumors are what are causing my knee pain.

The doctor wants me to get xrays again in 3 months and then based on the xray results have me get another MRI (with the wait on MRIs would be at least 6 weeks later). My doctor says that if they are worse then he will refer me to an orthopedic surgeon to talk about removing them.

Is it possible that the pain/discomfort I feel is caused by these tumors (the location of the tumors is same location that is painful/feels like something is in my knee)? Is an MRI able to tell if the tumors would be benign or malignant? If they are the source of my pain what is the point of waiting? Could more damage potentially be done by waiting 4+ months for anything to be done? Is it possible for them to go away on their own even though I have had the same type of pain for years that just keeps getting worse? Are these average size or large/small?Should I be talking to a doctor other then my normal GP to make the decision on how to proceed with monitoring/treatment of this?

_swank_ responded:
If it were me, I would have gone straight to an orthopedic surgeon. Otherwise, I would ask for a referral now. I don't see the point in waiting. If the pain has been there for that long then it's not going to go away.

oberturn responded:
Hi, My daughter just had the same thing happen. She is having a lot of pain on the side of her knee cap and she just had the xray today. MRI is next week. You had some great questions. Have you gotten any of them answered yet? I wish you the best. Pain is no fun, especially when you are so young. My daughter is 13.

latinadancer responded:
I had an MRI done this week on my left knee, for pains and lump behind my knee and a slipage of top of knee when I walk. MRI showed Extensive myxoid engeneration of the anterior cruciate ligament. And there is a a 31.1 x 22.6 x 16.8mm partly calcified enchondroma is noted within the medial femoral condyle. There is also a large horizontal tear on the inferior aspect of the mid segment and part of the posterior horn of the medial menisus.

What am I looking at, since I have to see a orthopedic surgeon. Please explain.

_swank_ replied to latinadancer's response:
You have a torn meniscus and some issues with your ACL. I have no idea what engeneration means. Your surgeon will explain further and what it means for you.

Helpful Tips

Uploading knee brace for OA Knee
Can anybody help me by giving his experience/opinion about the utility of offloader Knee Braces for Bilateral Medial Compartment ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center