Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
total knee replacement in the post polio patient
postpolio posted:
Has anyone experience with the post polio patient and TKR when there is significant quadriceps weakness and the patient currently uses back kneeing to hyper extend the knee and stabilize as well as a walker for gait. What are the expected outcomes and problems? The patient is 86 years old with medical history of post polio weakness and SOB , high blood pressure controlled by medication and a seizure disorder treated with dilantin. I have foun d very little literature on TKR and post polio

annette030 responded:
I didn't want you to post with no response at all. I am sorry I don't have any experience with the kind of patient you are talking about.

I would make certain that you have the right surgeon, make sure he does several TKR per week. I would also confer with her internal medicine doctor or whoever manages her current medications for her high B/P and seizures. You want all that taken care of while she is in the hospital and afterwards.

Take care, Annette

Helpful Tips

tkr
after I had my tkr, I learned to go down stairs backwards hanging on a banister or my husbands arm. This was 13 years ago. it really took ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center