Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Unidentified Hip Pain/Pain in arms/hands/wrists after using crutches 1+ month
MargretKelley posted:
I know this doesn't entirely fit in here, but this is the closest group I could find that might have any idea of what I should do.

First off, I'm a 22 year old female, history of hip problems (previously deemed to be muscular problems, now we think we're dealing with a bone problem), take calcium supplements with my meals daily, have a history of eating disorders. The first time my hips, primarily my left one, began bothering me was when I began running cross-country when I was 14, and while physical therapy helped deal with the day-to-day pain, I have not been able to run any sort of distance without pain in 8 years.

About 2 months ago, my left hip began hurting again, which I chalked up to a rather large ovarian cyst I had at the time. After a week or so, I was unable to support any weight on my left leg, 400 mg of ibuprofen didn't even touch the pain and I was using a heating pad for at least 8 hours a day. I went to the school health clinic and was given a pack of prednisone and a sample pack of Celebrex. The first two days, when I was taking 24 mg of prednisone + 200 mg Celebrex and then 20 mg prednisone + 200 mg Celebrex I was able to put some weight on my left leg, but I was still using my umbrella as a cane. Once I got down to the 16 mg prednisone dosage on the third day, I was once again unable to walk and sent to the orthopedic surgeon.

I had x-rays prior to my visit with the orthopedic surgeon, which were clean. After examining me, he decided that I must've gotten a stress fracture somehow and sent me off to get an MRI to see the extent of it and told me to get on crutches and stay on them till I could properly walk on my leg again. MRI came back clean, with the exception of showing the rather large ovarian cyst I strongly suspected I had at the time anyways. The MRI was done approximately 3 weeks after the pain first started. Just to ensure that the MRI hadn't missed anything, I was then sent off for a bone scan, which was done approximately 5 weeks after the pain first started, but that too came back perfectly normal. My doctor finally admitted to being stumped and said there was nothing more that could be done except stay off of it till it stopped hurting.

It has now been 3 weeks since I've had the bone scan and I've reached a plateau. I can stumble around my apartment without crutches and I can walk around short distances with just one crutch (maybe the distance of one city block if I'm really doing well that day), but the rest of the time I'm still stuck on both crutches. While this is getting to be quite annoying, my arm/hand/wrist has decided to rebel against me putting my weight on it all day long. I'm still in college so I'm hopping around campus to get to classes all day and neither rest, heat, ice, or prescription strength NSAIDS offer any bit of relief. Strangely enough, this is only happening to my right arm: my left arm feels perfectly fine.

In addition, I also found out yesterday that I have to fly across the country for a job interview next week. Do any of you have any suggestions or insight to airplane travel with crutches? I really have no problems whatsoever getting around on them, my stamina is high enough for me to keep up a fast "walking" pace for several miles. However, I'm kinda stumped as to what to do with my luggage since I become extremely unsteady at any speed when I try to carry around anything that is not on my back.

Any advice would be extremely helpful at this point. Thanks very much in advance!

annette030 responded:
For traveling I would suggest you contact the airlines that you fly with and ask them for a wheelchair and attendant from the drop off site to the gate, and then you should be allowed to board first and get settled in. The flight attendant should be able to help you with carry on luggage, check anyother luggage the usual way. Make sure the airline has someone at the other end to help you with luggage. The flight attendant usually takes crutches and canes and puts them up for take off and the flight and gives them back to you after you land. At least that is what they do when I fly with my cane.

Security will probably double check you with a wand or a pat down. I would call them ahead of time and ask them the easiest way to travel with crutches.

Best of luck with your interview. I can only suggest you get a second opinion at a university medical school orthopedic clinic to see if you can figure out the mystery of where your pain is coming from. Did they rule out the ovarian cyst as the cause of the pain?

Take care, Annettte

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center