Skip to content
Limitations after total knee replacement
bgmoon posted:
I am havening a Total Knee Replacement on 04-12-2010. (Total Patella Arthroplasty). I am a 51 y.o. police officer (male) who golfs, hunts and works out with weights. What kind of restrictions is anyone with this surgery experiencing. I'm pretty sure my career as a "street cop" is over. I'm 3 years from retirement and hope to ride a desk til retirement.

_swank_ responded:
This is a question you need to ask your doctor. However, you should be able to golf, hunt and workout. Pretty much anything that is not high impact.

Geradine4733 responded:
Give yourself plenty of time to heal. Do the exercises even when you do not want to do them so you do not get scar tissue because you want an excellent bend and a strong and straight leg..

Your body will tell you what you can do. You can help your body by keeping all the PT exercises after you are through with PT, and find time to do them every day so you keep your body in shape. If you do that, you should be able to live a normal life if you do not kneel on your knee, over do lifting weights, and stay away from high-impact exercises.

Good luck. I had my TKR in 2006, and it was a success. I am sure yours will be too.

GobGator responded:
I have had 2 partial knee replacements and a total hip replacement. My phsician advised me to avoid jogging and leg presses using a weight machine. However, moderate exercises such as walking, weights and low impact exercise is acceptable. I currently walk two miles/day, do limited weights and low impact exercise, which has benefited my general well being significantly. If you are like most, you will come to believe that you should have had the knee replacement a few years early than you did, and the quality of your life will benefit from the absence of pain from your knee. Exercise is very benefical, just think through what you do.

Helpful Tips

Uploading knee brace for OA Knee
Can anybody help me by giving his experience/opinion about the utility of offloader Knee Braces for Bilateral Medial Compartment ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center