Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Knee replacement, Both at the same time or one at a time 3-4 weeks apart?
TamarsBaBa posted:
I have been told that I need both knees replaced and the Dr has given me the choice of having both done at the same time or about 3 weeks apart. What are the trade offs

bkm531 responded:
I had both done at the same time and am glad I did. As, it seems, with all surgeries we don't get a really full report on the post--op recovery and therapy required. Recovery is work and going under again after 3 weeks I believe will dampen your eagerness to get to it. I went for both at the same time because it was an unknown experience for me and I thought that if I had one done I might not show up for the second. Both at once lets you got through the therapy and recovery once. They will wake you up shortly after the operation and insist that you walk right then. You will curse and swear but it is the beginning of the recovery therapy. It is work, but there is no choice only how you apportion it. I found one track much better than going down one therapy route and then having to recycle and do it all over again. Good Luck.

bkm531 responded:
Oh, also check to the right on this page under "Discussions"..."Pain after Knee Replacement"

_swank_ responded:
Three weeks apart seems a bit close together. I would wait longer. I would never do both at once mostly because of the difficulties getting around, getting in and out of cars, getting up and down from chairs, toilets, stairs, etc. One is hard enough. Unfortunately. you never really know whether it's right for you until you do it.

Geradine4733 responded:
I had the same problem in 2006. Both knees were bone on bone so I could have the bi-lateral, but my Primary Doctor wanted me to do just one.

I had the worst one done, and then the other one seemed to get a little better. I have been able to save my other knee with cortisone injections at first and a synvisc injection that lasts for seven to nine months.

I know that eventually I will have to have the other one done but I am happy to have my non-surgical knee because I have a big house and yard, and it makes my work easier to have a knee that I can kneel on.

They do not want you to kneel on the TKR knee because that is too much weight on that knee.

Best wishes what ever you decide to do.

Helpful Tips

duct leakage test
This could be everybody's great solution for carrying ladders inside house and risking own life from falling, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center