Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Nickel and Bone Cement Allergies
jointproblems posted:
I had a hip replaced four years ago and a knee replaced 2 years ago. I have had problems with both almost from the beginning. With the hip, I had significant pain when rotated in different directions, particularly when bringing toward my chest and moving toward opposite side of my body. Not a move that I repeat often but also have constant stiffness and cannot sit or stand for any duration. Infections have been ruled out and cortisone shots did not help. Have had to live with the pain although had planned to have hip scoped for possible impingement as cause of pain.

Right knee replaced two years later and had swelling ever since. If sitting for more than 10 minutes and not able to stretch, I am in excruciating pain.

Lymphocyte transformation blood test just performed and revealed an allergy to nickel and bone cement. Have a scheduled meeting with my OS. Implants made with titanium but obviously have some nickel alloy. Am assuming present in both implant devices and that bone cement was used for both as well. Research on web does not reveal much information and, short of replacing the device(s), there appears to be no real treatment. If anyone is aware of any treatment protocols or remedial measures, I would appreciate it. Am also concerned about what impact these allergies will have on the implants and the integrity of the bone. I will need to replace the other knee and hip at some point and obviously will have to use different materials but all of this is disconcerting, not to mention painful. Thanks for any help.

lec8022 responded:
I am having problem after tkr. It has been 2 years since my surgey on my left and 4 years on the right. I have fluid on the outside on both knees and a lot of pain when I stand from a sitting position . The Dr. guess but does not know for sure what problem is. Do you have any of these symptoms.

Survivorbynature responded:
My husband is going through the same process and I wondered if your situation has cleared up or what you did to take care of this problem. He has had the same knee replaced twice and still the same problems as you mentioned. Are you still dealing with the issue or did you go in for another surgery. I would appreciate any information regarding this subject. Thank You for your time concerning this message.

Fire Captains Wife

smip responded:
They don't use cement normally in hip replacements. Usually the weight will cement them in place. How do I know this? I had a total right elbow replacement that I know was cemented. I was curious about my hip so I asked my doctor how long before the cement takes hold in my hip. Thats when he explained to me that hips usually do not use the cement. I'm not sure about knee replacements. That's a good question to bring up to your doc.

I hear alot of folks haveing problems after their surgeries. I found to my surprize instant releif after my hip replacement. Sure I had surgical pain... but the joint pain was all but gone. I guess I'm a pretty lucky puppy. I have a great doctor. It it still very strange to walk and not have that same pain that I used to have. Downfall is that now I feel the pain in the right hip more. Will get that done in Aug.

Where is the darn spell check now???lol

firecapt replied to Survivorbynature's response:
I too have had my knee replaced twice. The first was with the chromium/cobalt alloy that contained nickel. Turns out my skin was not allergic to nickel but my blood was. They replaced it with a titanium implant but didn't check for allergic reactions to bone cement. After a second blood test after the surgery it turns out I'm allergic to bone cement particles. Still with swelling, pain and rashes after 2 years and 3 months since the first surgery. The doc says another revision would be risky due to potential bone loss. He is attending an orthopedic convention in Chicago in 2 weeks and will bring my case up to see if there is other possible treatment plans or surgical options.

rifle300wybmag responded:
I was sent to an Allergy Clinic and their test were also conclusive that I was allergic to the bone cement or glue as it is sometimes called. I have been to 5 orthopedic Doctors and only one of them has looked at the problem in a logical way, agreeing that you can be allergic to the cement. However now that it is proven I am allergic to the cement WHAT DO WE USE ???? I have had puss and knee juice running out of my knee since 2005 with only a few months of not leaking. When it heals up for a month or 2 pressure builds and the pain is well you know, very bad until it pop's open and starts releasing the pressure. If anyone knows where I can go please get back with the information.. SO SORRY I EVER HAD THE KNEE REPLACEMENT WITHOUT FIRST HAVING THE PROPER TEST FOR ALERGIES. 8 years wasted.

rifle300wybmag replied to firecapt's response:
Dear firecapt Did your Doctor have any luck finding a replacement for the bone cement. My first knee replacement was a night mare. With swelling leaking blood, puss and lots of pain for 3 years then it stopped and I had no pain for 2 years then the knee brook loose and They replaced it. This has been much worst still leaking since 2010. no infection I am allergic to the cement so it will do what the first knee did; it will break loose and then what??? Hope you have some good news for me.

munchkinz replied to rifle300wybmag's response:
Look up two things: first, check out Colorado Limb Consultants. Next look up Pro Dense. Pro dense is an organic ("dissolving"??) bone cement substitute. I had a knee replacement 2 years ago and they found that I'm allergic to the bone cement and possibly the nickel. I'm scheduled for a revision next month and they're using the pro dense and an oxinium "coated" knee with titanium stem. This may be a good solution for you. Good luck!

dorfmeyer replied to firecapt's response:
Where were your rashes located?

rifle300wybmag replied to munchkinz's response:
Munchkinz, Thank you for your input to my problem. I will follow through and look up your info. I am asking you to please get back with me and tell me how your doing with the new knee. I am excited about finding out more because I do not wont to loose my leg. seems that is only thing left, if they cant use glue. Thanks again riflewyb300mag

woozy99 replied to rifle300wybmag's response:
I hope there is an alternate bone glue that works!

I am violently allergic to PMMA/MMA/Methacrylate. My doctor told me that all bone glues (except for the skull) in the US are acrylate.

He said there is a bone glue used in Europe that is not PMMA.

You need to talk to your insurance company and probably an attorney if you are allergic and have have PMMA already used inside of you, it's not just going to cease being reactive.

Thank God, thru a series of events, I dodged this bullet by knowing I was allergic and asking the right questions. I have a back fracture, but it's better than having a toxic substance inside of me.

The Orthopedic community has made a financial decision to NOT test since the allergy is considered somewhat uncommon. This is really bad if you're one of those with an implanted toxin!

Helpful Tips

duct leakage test
This could be everybody's great solution for carrying ladders inside house and risking own life from falling, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center